News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Davy knot

Started by Colin Fionn, June 11, 2014, 03:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Fionn

I'm a convert to this great wee knot. Previously I used a tucked half-blood knot to attach flies to leaders, but this is far better IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NTVZAZ0xQA

east wind

I've been thinking about trying this method for the wee flies I'll probably need soon, as it has such  a small neat finish.

Hope it proves reliable. Just on the off chance.
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Wildfisher

It's a good knot, I sometimes  use it but have forgotten how to tie it!   :D.  A member here did a comparative knot test some years ago, Blood, Davy and Uni knots. He found the Davy was the least likely to fail

Bobfly

This a great compact knot and so easy that it does not seem right! I was not aware of the Double Davy with the extra turn over but I can see how it would suit size 12 or larger. I only used the single on smaller flies and, as a reminder, I have a sketch scratched onto my aluminium boxes since it really does seem just too simple !!!
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Darwin

Davy said the video is accurate and gave it his approval.    :8)

east wind

Well I finally got round to trying this out last night. Beforehand I had practiced at home with some backing line on a keyring using the video followed by some heavy line on a big hook. Hefty tugs and all held well.

On the water tied on a flee and gave it a test. Then the first troot of the night came to hand, about three quarters and it put up a decent scrap. When unhooking, it slipped out my hand and back into the water and fecking snapped the line at the hook.

I'm sure it's a sound, easy to tie tidy knot and it might have been a wind knot at the hook or a raspy mouth or a poor effort lashing it up but that's my confidence shot and it's back to what has been consistently solid for me for the last couple of years.

Oh well.

Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

nacnud

Use it all the time now, I'm a total convert finding the Davy quick, easy to tie and strong. Will be trying the double on my next outing to the salmon.

past caring

Think I may have posted a drawing of the knot on here years back in the dim and distant past.

For those that have had failures - the ease of tying can often be the reason the knot fails. It is absolutely essential that the first loop goes in front of the tippet rather than behind (easy to forget this after a while) and also that the tag end lines up with the shaft of the hook when you tighten. I've had failures but this eliminates them. Also go double Davy when the hook eye is large in comparison to the tippet - ie not necessarily only on size 12 and up.
Oh, you wet, you weed, you mite! I will utterly tough you up!

Highlander

Certainly a handy wee knot to know but I wiill still stick to my tucked half blood meantime. Has never let me down in over 50 years of fishing.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page