News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

an exciting adventure

Started by corsican dave, June 16, 2014, 01:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

this is an excerpt from catch magazine jun 2012. unfortunately the magazine is subscription only but at $12 it's not too expensive and gives you access to all the back issues. this article was about a very bold trip into the wilds of the urals. i'm sure some of us would love this sort of thing!  :8) hope you can read the text. as you might imagine, the accompanying photos are something else.... I don't think I should  attach these as it probably infringes copyright; in fact I've probably done that already but i'm sure the publishers would forgive me for the publicity. or maybe not.
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

That looks interesting Dave and as you say $12 is not a big subscription. I think this is the way mags will go. "Free"  is not a sustainable option and "free" publications are either doomed to become chocked with ads or to die.   Also if you don't pay your writers they will soon get sick of working for you for free.

How does it read on a tablet? I ask because I also believe that those that don't fit that format well are also doomed. Very few people really enjoy sitting in front of a PC or laptop screen reading. A tablet / Kindle is the next best thing to a book.

corsican dave

i'll take a chance and pop in a picture. the quality of the photography is quite outstanding. check it out, catch magazine http://www.catchmagazine.net/Magazine/cmjun2014#section=0&page=0
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

corsican dave

Quote from: Element on June 17, 2014, 12:46:12 PM
That sounds like an epic adventure for sure... minus the mosquitoes maybe! & that picture is incredible! Haven't seen a grayling look like that before..

E.
Tony, for the price of a couple of pints it really is quite an inspirational publication. the back issues extend to 2009, too  :8)

Wildfisher

Quote from: corsican dave on June 18, 2014, 08:01:06 AM
Tony, for the price of a couple of pints it really is quite an inspirational publication

Or if you are in the Strontian area, the price of one pint.   :D

Wildfisher

There's lots of stuff on Youtube from Catch Magazine. I sometimes think we in Scotland are a bit conservative when it comes to our fishing, these international magazines can be a real eye opener.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afcg1H2MRN0#ws

Gola

That clip of Strobel brought back some memories. About 5 years ago I spent a week fishing there. Everything on the clip is right, the wind, the waves, and of course the trout. Though while there I was reminded of an old story about the dedicated fisherman who dies, then finds himself sitting by the banks of the most perfect river he has ever seen. Water level is just right, there is a hatch on and trout are rising. He looks around and there on the bank beside him is his rod, bag, fly boxes, and waders. He quickly sets up his gear, covers a trout which takes his fly without hesitation and is played to the net. As he draws a second trout over the net he exclaims I'm in heaven. However as the sun begins to set and he draws his 100th trout of the day over the net he realises he is in fact in hell.

Well Strobel is a bit like that, after the first two days I had caught all the numbers I ever wanted, trout to sizes that I could normally only dream of, and on all sorts of flies. So for the rest of the week I spent my time walking the shore line targeting individual trout in gin clear water, or walking miles up the only inflowing river catching trout in the ¾ to a pound range in small pools and riffles. Having said all of that I would go back in a heartbeat, but would spend maybe two days at Strobel, and the rest of the time targeting sea trout on the Rio Gallegos or such like.

I've added a few photographs from the trip.

Wildfisher

Well fed 'bows!   :shock:

Allan Crawford

Cracking rainbows, you'll have needed that fighting butt !

Go To Front Page