News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Whisky Reviews

Started by SoldierPmr, April 17, 2015, 09:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: burnie on September 04, 2015, 09:11:47 PM
They did a great job of re opening the place and starting it up again, but their prices are steep, even the café was the dearest on the island. The Uigeadail and Corryvreckan are nice.

I was given a bottle of Ardbeg as a gift several years ago. I think I eventually poured it down the toilet. It is easily the most vile whisky I have tasted I am not keen on west coast malts, I have yet to taste one I really like, but Ardbeg was in a class all by itself.  :lol:

burnie

Whilst in Lewis(and Harris) I tracked down the new Abhainn Dearg which only started in 2008, so I knew what I was getting. Natural colour and non chill filtered it is pale and light on character, but enjoyable because I knew what I was getting. Some of the "big " boys are selling faster than they can make and the quality is really suffering, some of them will pay for this in the long run as customers won't come back again. There are a few acceptable youngsters and to me at least, some that are left in the barrel for far too long and at the end of the day it's down to taste. I mean some people drink lager and Buckfast and apparently like it.

silverbutcher

Quote from: burnie on September 04, 2015, 06:12:39 PM
That's one of those "no age statement" ones, not bad but not quite the "bargain" some of these appear to be, I bought a 12 year old Highland Park as a charity donation for £25, that is a bargain. Tescos had a few on "offer" even the Ardbeg, which I can't remember seeing on offer for years.

Still tasted nice  :D. I am a fan of HP, and don't think I have ever payed more than £25 for a bottle. Nearly always on special in at least one of the big supermarkets. I just google to see which one. :)

Billy

Suki1312

Quote from: Roobarb on April 17, 2015, 10:00:24 PM
Give some to a child who has never tasted it before and they will spit it half way across the room. It all tastes like shit and I can't understand why anyone ever has it a second time!

Andy

What age was the child lol  :gay4
Every day is a school day

burnie

Andy my local Tesos is selling off the flagons of Westons Old Rosie at £3 a pop, that'll make you feel at home.

Macconnell

The range of malt whiskies available is very large and there is a great deal of difference between some of them and similarities between others. Personally I have never been able to see the attraction of the smoky/peaty island malts. I once won a bottle of Lagavulin in a shooting club raffle, had one drink, and gave it away. I thought it was disgusting. The smell was just like toilet cleaner. On the other hand The MacCallan and Dalwinnie are nearly perfect as relaxing evening drinks for consumption while reading a good fishing book. Glenmorangie is also very tolerable. But really it is I am sure just a matter of personal taste.

If someone asked me to try as many as possible to help evaluate them I wouldn't refuse. One would need to try quite a number before being sure of one's views.

SoldierPmr

Abit of a bump here.

Laphroaig quater cask another Unaged statement though a very nice whisky for the peat lovers at 48% not abbad whisky especialy as its on offer in ASDA for £25 while the 10 year old is £26.99

Aberlour A'bunadh the batch I got stood at 60.1% at first I was alittle put off as it didn't taste how I expected Aberlour to taste but once air had got into the bottle it turned out to be a really nice sherry malt.

Noddy

Recently tried a bottle of 12yr old Aberfeldy for the first time, very nice.  £28 in Tesco.

Jim

SoldierPmr

Laphroaig Select and Birch sap makes a different drink.

[attachimg=1]

burnie

I tried some Birch Sap after watching Ray Mears extolling the virtues of it , tapped from my own tree down the garden, that boy has no sense of taste, it's minging, I certainly wouldn't put it in decent Malt.

Go To Front Page