News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

winding check

Started by col, February 18, 2010, 04:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

col

Not received my kit yet but it wont be far away. Im looking for a nickel or alluminium winding check to replace the supplied rubber check. Its becoming quite a task finding one small enough. Ive been reccomended to go for one .236" which is 5.9 mm looks like i can get one very  close at 6mm. If this turns out to be slightly  on the generous side can i use thread wraps under the check to fit it more accurately.

Thanks col

greenwell

Col,
     Slip the winding check on and mark the blank to indicate the check's forward edge. You can then whip on the necessary number of thread layers to fill the gap. As long as the thread doesn't protrude from under the check nobody will know it's even there. If the gap is such that it will take too many thread layers to fill then initially wind a layer or two of masking tape then whip on top of it. The rough surface of the tape will also act as a key for whatever adhesive you are using to secure it.
      Hope that's of some help,
                                         Jim.

stickleback

It's the thin metal or vinyl/rubber ring that some rods have at the top of their handle to cover up any potential untidiness, like a wee gap, between the handle and blank.  I haven't a clue why they're called winding checks.  I've had to use them on my builds because I've been slightly over-industrious whilst reaming the cork.

Go To Front Page