News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

wrap colours- opinions wanted

Started by col, March 11, 2010, 02:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

col

just cant decide what colour of wraps to go with? ive done a couple of test wraps but i am still humming and hawing. should point out the blank is green but in the light of day is a nice rich olive colour. the wrap on the left is evergrren and on the right cinnamon, both with gold trim. The colours will show up as seen but glossy as im going to be using colour preserver.What do you think, also should maybe point out its a wee burn rod . opinions please!  :)

[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]

Wildfisher

I'd go for minimum flash Col and use thread as close to the colour of the blank as possible. I reckon it looks classier too.

River Chatter

That rod looks great Col.  I'd go for something really subtle on a burn rod.  I've got an Orvis (there's that name again!) T3 Freshwater rod that's green and has really subtle green wrapping with gold trim on it.  Really nice and undertated.  So I'd go for a mix of the green you have with gold not silver. A duller green might be good too as yours is pretty strong by the looks of it.  

garryh

ive seen one done in dark green and silver. :) but the guys got no taste whatsoever  :roll:

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

sandyborthwick

Col,

I've gone for the simple option with some very fine silver trims. Just a tiny drop of superglue on the tip of the silver/gold thread and a small probe to hold it flush and dry. A couple of rotations and another drop of SG. Gives a very fine trim that sits tight to the wraps and no fussing. You can't even see the buts of the silver thread at all when epoxied.

Sandy B.O.

River Chatter

sandyborthwick

Nice and tight Col,

Bet the finished rod looks a corker.

Just finished repairing Scotty my brothers 9'6" which had an Orkney disaster on the rod holders. I had already rebuilt one 10'6" 6# so I've only got two more rods to build and only three days of closed season left :shock:. Suspect it will be end of April before all four are done now.

I think I'll keep my 11' 6 weight until later when I'm so bored of catching brownies I want a couple of nights in :lol:.

Sandy B.O.

garryh

the green and silvers no too bad  :

Garry

Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

stickleback

That wrap on the stripper guide is the one I'd plonk for - it looks great.  If you're still mulling over whether to use CP or not and what your wraps will look like after epoxying, have you got an old blank you could use to do several different test wraps of various designs, some with CP and the others without, then epoxy them all to see the final results ?  It should help determine your final choice. 

Cheers

Go To Front Page