News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Hard wearing guides

Started by col, August 19, 2011, 09:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

col

Ive just bought a harrison 9/10 blank with the pike in mind. What guides should i go for are single legs better than double or vice versa , also, and perhaps most importantly, what's the hardest wearing any reccomendations please.

Thanks Col

Malcolm

Col,

I use quite old tackle by most standards so reringing is something I've had to get dome for a few rods. At the first re-ring I get lined rings put on my rods as, unless I get the rod made, they always come with plain wire rings. The ones I specify are the best available at the time - Fuji or Seymo double leg but and single leg intermediates,. On a heavily used rod I get about 3-7 years out of snakes but so far haven't had a single lined ring replaced.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Malcolm

Col - I believe that to be an urban myth! Steve Parton weighed a set of snakes and a set of lined rings - the difference was miniscule.

in fact here is his post from FFF

"Years ago to settle once and for all the weight of rings argument I built two absolutely identical Harrison Blanks up one with snakes and one with Fuji singles - and I didn't cheat in any way - both rods were identical in weight before I started ringing and within .004 of a gram when I'd finished .

Most rods now come from China - and their biggest market is the USA . Americans have forever ringed their rods with the 2 Butts ceramic and the rest out of snakes . The Americans are a lot more hidebound than we are on ringing . Sadly the undereducated marketing types who specify ( let's never say design ever again ) rods for the UK Market do not take any of this into account - to a non fisherman snakes likely look prettier than single leg Fujis - they are into price structured marketing . And yes - original Japanese Fujis are a fair bit more expensive than paperclips ! Could make as much difference as $4 per rod on a $15 rod ( which is about what most Importers into the UK will pay , by the way ! )

Many cheap rods will actually stand reringing with Single Fujis but why bother - you can have another justas good for £35 which is about what a commercial rering job would cost you anyway .

Over the years I'll point out that most grooving on snakes is caused by casting as the wear almost inevitably takes place on the sides of snakes and is likely caused by the sideways snaking of the line during shooting ( most interesting in slomo and I have seen an odd clip somewhere which very clearly demonstrated this )

The only rods I fit snakes on these days are Saltwater specials - I fit big snakes - this is because I don't want a customer who have just done in £3000 on a trip to lose the only tarpon because his backing / or flyline has knotted and jammed in the rings ! A knotted flyline that goes through might just save everthing .

And yes , for sure , the bigger the diameter of the ring - given that in casting the line rattles about from side to side - means that the line will be in less contact with the sides and marginally less friction occurs - Tournament Distance Boys these days are now down to 3 big wide rings and all of them are on the tip section ( but it ain't fishing tackle as we know it , Jim ! )

I couldn't tell the action of the two identicals apart in blindfold casting ( thanks Mr Huffer ! ) And doubt that anybody else could either - a lot of the difference folks write about is personal perception and doesn't stand up to a hard scientifically organised test !

Wear on snakes is as a result of the metal used and the abrasive nature of the grits picked up by flylines . Round here the one place you don't ever want to take a snake ringed rod is Foremark Fishery - about 6 trips before wear shows there !! Decent fishery tho'.

Steve P."
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

haresear

That made very interesting reading Malcolm. Thanks.

The one thing I don't like about Sage rods is the hayfork type of tip ring. For me, with my casting style, the line jams on the back cast. I suppose I could always try cleaning the line :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

davefromtheattic

The rod I built had full lined fuji guides plus a tamer guide 4in up from the first stripper. It's the best rod for shooting line I own and everything about it feels smooth. I'd be more than happy to bring it across the bridge for you to have a play with if it helps you make up your mind.

davefromtheattic

I still don't understand why snakes exist.

davefromtheattic

Sorry, Col, the recent thread button isn't working for me just now. I just ordered mine from guides n blanks, I can't remember what selection of sizes they had.

Highlander

If you E Mail the above company they are more than willing to suggest what rings to use for any particular rod. At least gives you a starting point even if in the end you choose another set.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page