News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Rubbing down epoxy

Started by bushy palmer, October 26, 2011, 11:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushy palmer

Day off Yesterday and it had been my intention to complete a rod which I have been building over the last couple of nights for a work collegue.

I'd just finished mixing my epoxy for the thread wraps when the wife declared that WE had plans and had to leave soon.

Being a miserable bastard, I didn't want to waste the epoxy so in a rush I started slapping it on. In my haste I started using sideways strokes ( I could see that the finish wasn't nice but thought the turner would sort out the lumps) after all, the rod was already looking good- this was just a finish coat.

Well the turner hasn't hidden any of it- it looks Shite!

My question(s):

Can I rub the finish coat back a bit and re-apply??

if so:

What do I use – wet and dry paper/ emory cloth??

Inchlaggan

On models I use wet and dry, BUT make sure the epoxy has cured completely- a few days at least.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Traditionalist

Wait till the epoxy has completely cured.  Put it in a warm place to accelerate this.  For "dollops" of stuff, use a flat piece of wood with sandpaper like a file to remove them. ( Lolly sticks, spatulas etc).  For thick "coats" of stuff, medium steel wool works well, but be careful not to overdo it.  If you have a reasonably powerful turner, use medium to fine grade sandpaper on your piece of wood "file"  ( Like an Emory board), and sand the epoxy while turning. Usually, you will see immediately when the blank goes "blank". For stubborn bits use steel wool to remove the remnants, also in awkward places.

On my own rods I only use varnish, ( On the whippings. I usually don't use anything at all on blanks, they don't need it, they are epoxy!).  Using epoxy as a rod or whipping finish is more trouble than it's worth, especially if you want to change rings etc, or refurbish a rod later.  I still use epoxy occasionally on friend's rods etc. But I gave up using it on my own gear years ago. There is no advantage and it is a pain in the arse.

Don't use emory cloth, silicon carbide, or stuff like that. It can cause pieces of the extremely hard grit to lodge in the blank.  Wash the blank thoroughly after sanding and before doing anything else.

TL
MC

bushy palmer

Thanks guys,

As per your advice i'll leave it for a few days before taking any remedial action.

I've plenty to be getting on with in the interim- my own rod is here along with some cork and burl shives for a new handle.

Traditionalist

Quote from: bushy palmer on October 26, 2011, 12:21:14 PM
Thanks guys,

As per your advice i'll leave it for a few days before taking any remedial action.

I've plenty to be getting on with in the interim- my own rod is here along with some cork and burl shives for a new handle.

Just a further note, make sure that any grit is removed from around the rings and whippings. I spray the rods carefully with a hose to make sure any loose grit is removed before any further operations. If the stuff gets under a reel foot etc, it can slowly damage the blank.

TL
MC

bushy palmer

Hi col,

Another coat would most probably fix it but I'm keen to rub it back a bit as it was already a second coat. It's such a delicate wee blank (GATTI) that I don't want to build up the finish too much

Traditionalist

Quote from: Sandfly on October 26, 2011, 05:30:29 PM
I would take it of and start again, cut it along the top of the ring foot and then peel it off using your fingernail or the edge of an old credit card or similar. Re whip and coat in epoxy. Take your time and don't rush it.

Davy.

Actually I agree with that.  It is often easier than trying to redeem a cock-up, and looks better.

TL
MC

bushy palmer

Quote from: Sandfly on October 26, 2011, 05:30:29 PM
I would take it of and start again, cut it along the top of the ring foot so you do not damage the delicate blank and then peel it off using your fingernail or the edge of an old credit card or similar. Re whip and coat in epoxy. Take your time and don't rush it.

Davy.

Davy I'm keen to avoid this unless I absolutely have to.

For the sake of taking a bit of time to rub it down a wee bit and re-apply i I think it's worth the risk. I don't have a wrapper and do all my whipping by hand you see, so starting from scratch is a ball-ache I'd rather avoid if I can (no doubt this is what I will end up doing!! :roll:)

bushy palmer

Aye- I keep promising I'll knock something together "next day off"

Go To Front Page