News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

A GOOD DRAM AND A GOOD BOOK

Started by andy m, October 05, 2014, 03:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rubberwellie

I'm impressed by the whiskies favoured in this thread.  My fav is Lagavulin 16 yr old, its the perfect malt.  I tasted Caol Ila for the first time this year and was very impressed by it, I thought it very similar to the Lagavulin.  Talisker is probably my fav regular malt along with Tobermory (i.e. not too expensive). 

As for books - anything by Sidney Spencer. 
Beneath the Black Water by Jon Berry as recommended by someone else on the forum previously.
I recently bought a book on eBay which I'm looking forward to - Memoirs of a Hunter by Friedrich Remmler.  Its an account from a manuscript which was lost for 35 years about hunting, trapping, hawking lynx, wolves, bears, seals etc in Finland and Russia between 1904 - 1930.  I haven't read it yet but I'm hoping its as interesting as it sounds.
Let them go.

Suki1312

A Talisker for me or  Isle of Jura . Not really one for fishing books but i have a few by Bruce Sandison . If i need to read books there usually Scottish  :D
Every day is a school day

andy m

thanks a few good books recomended there.and a few more whiskys to try thanks andy m

Wildfisher

Quote from: ColinM on October 09, 2014, 05:33:34 PM
John Gierach and a Talisker for me.

John Gierach, real ale and perhaps  a few G&Ts  :8)

superscot

Right found ma dram all i need now is a good book ! Honestly what planet are we on !

[attachimg=1]

Clan Chief

Highland park for me and may I recommend a book I am currently enjoying...... Tom Weir: an anthology [Kindle Edition] By Hamish Brown.
A collection of Some of Tom's writings.

andy m

thanks for your help . lot of good advice drams and books to .read some of the book i have not read and a whisky s that i have already tried so good to to try whisky that i have not and a good book that i have not read . cheers andy m

Part-time

I always enjoy a Glenlivet but Tamdhu and Aultmore are worth a try. I never used to like gin but after trying Tanqueray I'm quite partial to a G&T now and again.

I re-read 'Nineteen Eighty Four' by George Orwell earlier this year and really enjoyed it; planning to re-read his other books this winter. For historical writing that's not a dry read Tim Clarkson's books are worth a look - in particular 'The Makers of Scotland' all about the various peoples that merged to become Scotland. Fishing wise I'd also go for Gierach (and Rangely-Wilson) as good reads with a dram :)

andy m

ha ha part timer half way through 19.84. a hard book to read bit scary think i will have to read it again cheers andy m

Go To Front Page