News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

And just for good measure a couple of wee doubles I've tied up to use in my new found passion for salmon fly fishing, so far I've caught nowt but it's saved me worrying about what to spend my money on! ( rod,reel, line and fly tying stuff have seen to that!)

rannoch raider

Very Nice. I'd happily fish that muddler with the wee black double for Loch Salmon and sea trout anytime anywhere. The 'Texas Rose' muddler was a first choice for many on Argyll's Loch Eck back in the day. It certainly drew the fish up but they were keen on taking it too.

Lochan_load

Thanks, I've just google the Texas rose, I'll tie one up when I get the chance, I'm dying to try some of this type of fishing whether it be Lewis, uist or assynt, sounds brilliant rising  salmon and sea trout on a loch

rannoch raider

Yes, it is brilliant.... when it happens ! Unfortunately in many lochs that type of fishing isn't what it used to be. I'm sure there will be places where good loch salmon sport can be had. I guess that the estate fishings on the Scottish Islands and Ireland will still be worth a dabble at the right times but the likes of Lomond and other west coast lochs will be very hard work. A real shame when you consider the quality of sport they used to provide.

SoldierPmr

Some soldiers and a Zulu for next year.
Soldiers have fiery brown cock hackle palmer and red game hen hackle.
[attachimg=1]

Wildfisher

Tarantula, copied from a fly John Boyles tied fr me and that caught me a large number of big fish. This is a BIG fly.  :D

[attachimg=1]

haresear

That is a pretty faithful copy of John's cock sparrow Fred. What size hook?

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Size 8 long shank Alex, I have left the barb on.  I'll have to experiment and see if I can replace the clipped deer hair head with foam. I really do not like working with deer hair. It's only function I can see is to streamline the tying and stop it spinning when cast

Wildfisher

Same thing with foam replacing the deer hair head. The proportions are a little different, but I don't see that making much difference. This version is probably more buoyant.

[attachimg=1]

rannoch raider

It's a big beast of a fly for sure! Is it effective over here or are you talking New Zealand?

Go To Front Page