News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

bolt rig fly?

Started by corsican dave, October 31, 2014, 01:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

it being a Friday afternoon and my mind wandering off to places completely unrelated to the office, I was thinking about ways to improve the hook-ups we had with carp in spain. so, a flash of inspiration got me looking at bolt-rigs, where the bait is attached to the bend of the hook by a "hair" of line. wouldn't it be cool if I could come up with something similar for a fly?

a brief google search showed me that, as ever, someone else was way ahead of me  :roll: http://www.cayugafisher.net/pages/vise/visedisp.php?p=Bolt_Fly

however, I reckon this guy's got it the wrong way round: the "bait" should precede the hook, surely? I shall be at the vise this evening  :8) your thoughts, folks?

incidentally, I couldn't find any other references to flies done the "right" way, so remember you read it here first! :wink:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

burnie

Dave are you confusing "hair rig" with "bolt rig". A bolt rig is a self hooking rig that usually involves a heavy weight which acts as a stop setting the hook before you strike, just asking.

corsican dave

cheers Burnie! yep, you're correct, although the guy in the link refers to his as a "bolt fly". I checked out hair rig fly and didn't find anything either; although to be fair you could probably just fire out a hair-rigged boilie.... that'd be cheatin' tho'! :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

burnie

I confess to having still got most of my Carp fishing gear, bite alarms, bivvy, boilie making gear et al................

Go To Front Page