News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Uist

Started by stuartm, August 15, 2016, 01:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stuartm

I know a tried and tested method for the sea trout and salmon when using a muddler is to put it ion the bob. However I've read that the preferred use of a Muddler for Broonies is to place it on the tail.

Do Muddlers therefore: attract, by wake, for salmon sea trout and represent a wee fish for broonies?
Also use of dabblers, bumbles etc do they actually represent anything or are they just attractor flies or represent wee fish/

Cheers

stuartm

Thanks for the replies.

ColinM

Stuart.........Have you tried consulting your local guru on this matter !!?  :lol:

stuartm

Quote from: Roobarb on August 16, 2016, 07:56:14 PM
Anyway Stuart have you fished Uist for salmon and if so did you get any?

Andy

I have but with little to no luck.

stuartm

Quote from: ColinM on August 18, 2016, 03:25:36 PM
Stuart.........Have you tried consulting your local guru on this matter !!?  :lol:

I have but he just said put on a yellae dancer.  :lol:

Simon Everett

Quote from: Element on August 15, 2016, 07:10:10 PM
I regularly use a big muddler on the point for brownies. My thinking is that it acts as an attractor to bring the fish up to get a look and while up they might take it - or might take the dropper, or in some rare cases the 2nd dropper (I don't often fish 3 flies now). Another fly I use for the same purpose is the TT:
http://www.fliesonline.co.uk/trout-flies/muddlers/standard-muddlers/turks-tarantula-olive/ - Absolutely awesome fly which regularly gets me fish...

E.

I know it is ancient old, but this FliesOnLine place - are they any good? Are they tied on decent hooks, ones that don't break or go blunt. Proper tempered hooks. Do they fall apart after two fish?

pedropete

Quotesome wet flies pulled really slowly are suggestions but rarely imitations...

Andy

i like this!!

johnny boy

I have moved away from Muddlers on the top for trout and prefer a Stimulator and a smaller muddler on the tail, its been quite effective.

The stimulator moves more water than a standard muddler. this gives me 2 different fly profiles, therefore 2 different water disruption profiles.  The Stimulator is more like a cross between a muddler and a hedgehog, I prefer mine in the short fat type of Davie Macphail (see youtube) rather than some other types I have seen which are longer with less bulk.

Anyway you can see the stimulator crashing through the water like a baby with the muddler creating a distinct and more subtle V further back, I fish 3 files most of the time.

I have to get round to tying some TT's as there have been loads of posts on here about their effectiveness, I just need to get my finger out and order some legging stuff.

Robbie

Quote from: Simon Everett on January 04, 2018, 12:56:06 AM
I know it is ancient old, but this FliesOnLine place - are they any good? Are they tied on decent hooks, ones that don't break or go blunt. Proper tempered hooks. Do they fall apart after two fish?

I have not bought flies for years, preferring to tie my own. But i suspect you will get what you pay for. Having had a quick look at there website I would guess there are places that sell better quality flies but would expect them to cost a fair bit more.

Others who regularly buy flies may be able to give a more informed response.

Highlander

I very occasionally buy a fly or two but only patterns I do not have materials for or to give me an idea of pattern type. Best places I have found are Selectafly
http://www.selectafly.com/
or Caithness flies.
http://www.caithnessqualityflies.co.uk/

Not the cheapest but quality, in particular Caithness is usually good.
In the Selectafly site look at Fulling Mill. I believe a few shops in the UK will stock Fulling Mill products. I know GAC do

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page