News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Backing

Started by bibio1, October 18, 2016, 08:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bibio1

Guys,

I need.to change a few.Linea about various reels and at the same time I thought I'd change the backing.

Was a bit taken aback at how much it's jumped in cost. I'd like to buy around 500m. So where do you buy it? Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Paul

Lochan_load

I had to buy some just before the stravaig, it's a bloody rip these days. GAC do bulk spills but don't know what the saving is

Wildfisher

Trouble is getting stuff that is thin enough that you can get enough on yet strong enough. I sometimes just use 20 - 25lb mono. Cheap and does the job. Only fish I have ever had that took me to the backing was a salmon on trout  gear. Big browns don't tend to do that unless foul hooked in the tail!  :lol:

corsican dave

Paul, I've been using spectra braid for a few years now. I get it from amazon, the supplier is from hong kong. you can get a variety of breaking strains and colours (I like a bright coloured backing so I can see where the hell the fish is heading!)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spectra-Extreme-Braided-100m-2000m-1093Yards/dp/B01CE5T46Y/ref=sr_1_13?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1476816075&sr=1-13&keywords=spectra+braid+fishing+line

plus points are that you can get a shed-load of backing on and it's not expensive. down-sides are that it's very fine and you can burn your fingers if the fish is running hard. I have a feeling it could burst plastic spools if you clamp down hard.

also, beware of letting loose coils hang around off the reel or it'll tangle irrevocably  :lol:

I use 30 - 50 lb and I have never had a problem with this brand, despite the bargain price (300m for £6 delivered  :shock:)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

haresear

I have the Spectra Braid on some reels and some standard Dacron stuff on others. I have used mono in the past too. I reckon 15 lb mono is ample on trout reels even allowing for a loss of strength over time.

Tacklebargains is a good source for braid. I would go for Daiwa Sensor over Maxima for mono. I find Maxima decidedly dodgy after too long, whereas the Sensor seems to keep its breaking strain better. I have just tested some 12lb Sensor which has been on my barbel reels for about 6 years (kept in the dark) and it is still fine. It did the trick during a recent trip to the Trent :D

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on October 18, 2016, 09:25:36 PM
I would go for Daiwa Sensor

That's what I use. Cheap as chips too.

bibio1

Quote from: corsican dave on October 18, 2016, 08:50:34 PM
Paul, I've been using spectra braid for a few years now. I get it from amazon, the supplier is from hong kong. you can get a variety of breaking strains and colours (I like a bright coloured backing so I can see where the hell the fish is heading!)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spectra-Extreme-Braided-100m-2000m-1093Yards/dp/B01CE5T46Y/ref=sr_1_13?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1476816075&sr=1-13&keywords=spectra+braid+fishing+line

plus points are that you can get a shed-load of backing on and it's not expensive. down-sides are that it's very fine and you can burn your fingers if the fish is running hard. I have a feeling it could burst plastic spools if you clamp down hard.

also, beware of letting loose coils hang around off the reel or it'll tangle irrevocably  :lol:

I use 30 - 50 lb and I have never had a problem with this brand, despite the bargain price (300m for £6 delivered  :shock:)

That's the best I've seen......cheers

Paul

Highlander

Must admit I do not like standard nylon as backing, does not feel right going through ones hand & can bed in & jam on a fly reel not something on a spinning or multiplyer reel would be a problem where the line is laid on with either a bale arm or some kind of spreader bar  I stick to Dacron or Terelene but no need for expensive stuff
20lb for Trout & 30lb for Salmon is about right. A braid too would be fine especially if amount is critical but personally I have not used it. I have not had a good fish other than a Sea Trout or Salmon hooked in a loch that has went into the backing in many a year though one Brown on an Altnaharra area loch took all my fly line & all my backing on it's first run, hit the empty reel swirled & was gone.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page