News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Flurocarbon Tippet

Started by Wildfisher, July 10, 2017, 09:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny boy

Is it the same rod?  If tell them that for each muddler they leave in a fish that you will stick one in their ear as a reminder, see if they still think FC is still worth the risk.

Laxdale

The most sensible comment I have heard was "what the feck was he using FC for muddler fishing for?"
It helps for sea trout, but is a liability with no benefit in a big wave.
The guy has had double figure salmon on Hope, a double figure sea trout on Currane with it, and a double figure brown trout on Corrib using the same brand of FC.  But he has joined the "that never happened before club"!

Laxdale

Read the following a minute ago.   :D :D :D

"Wednesday 23rd August. Overcast but still humid. 1'6" and 60 degrees and clean. Tim joined me in the Cauld this morning and it took a while but we eventually got a nice 9lber right in the tail end from the right bank, we also used the skimmer the whole way down but not even a nose came up to look at it. Meanwhile down in Learmouth Mike fishing with Paul were discussing the merits of fluorocarbon leader material, Paul saying it was crap and Mike saying he's never had a problem with it, he'd no sooner uttered the words and he was into a big fish, then he wasn't as the leader had gone this happens too often so consider it banned from the Lees"

corsican dave

yeah, it's rubbish for big fish...  :roll:
[attachimg=1]
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Laxdale

Quote from: corsican dave on August 31, 2017, 10:29:31 PM
yeah, it's rubbish for big fish...  :roll:
[attachimg=1]

That is not a fish though, it is a crap!

corsican dave

If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

sagecirca

Could go round in circles here....

I have used G3 for well over 10 years and have complete confidence in it.  I can't recall an unexplained breakage where I would have blamed the material. 

The fish that Paul Proctor routinely catches (large specimen trout from rivers) are landed on flurocarbon tippet. 

I fished a reservoir with Haresear on Monday and fishing double dries, I used Riverge flurocarbon that is at least 6-7 years old as I wanted to use up what was left in the spools. Again, no problems despite a couple of wind knots working their way onto my leader.....still landed fish!

Highlander

Roobarb makes a good/valid point. It is well documented that fluo on occasion can fail & for no good reason.
On my club waters over the years I have spoken too & seen anglers who have had lost good fish due to using this stuff. On reflection it can just not be put down to poor knotting but the unexpected failure is something that mystifies me. I for one do not want to have a fish loose trailing a team of flies behind it. Yes I have left a few fish with a hook in it's mouth but very rarely do I leave the line. Been fly fishing for nigh on 60 years & can count on one hand the fish I have lost due to nylon breakage. Main reason has been a hastily tied knot rather than the line parting. I remember way back Stan Headly writing an article about loosing 9 fish on the trot using that other abomination Drennan Double Strength. Funny thing is he kept on fishing with it, that I could not get my head around. Same thing on my club water only this time fluo is the common denominator. I suspect the lighter BS as the main culprits but only an observation on my point.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

corsican dave

Quote from: Highlander on September 01, 2017, 09:48:34 PM
Roobarb makes a good/valid point. It is well documented that fluo on occasion can fail & for no good reason.
On my club waters over the years I have spoken too & seen anglers who have had lost good fish due to using this stuff. On reflection it can just not be put down to poor knotting but the unexpected failure is something that mystifies me. I for one do not want to have a fish loose trailing a team of flies behind it. Yes I have left a few fish with a hook in it's mouth but very rarely do I leave the line. Been fly fishing for nigh on 60 years & can count on one hand the fish I have lost due to nylon breakage. Main reason has been a hastily tied knot rather than the line parting. I remember way back Stan Headly writing an article about loosing 9 fish on the trot using that other abomination Drennan Double Strength. Funny thing is he kept on fishing with it, that I could not get my head around. Same thing on my club water only this time fluo is the common denominator. I suspect the lighter BS as the main culprits but only an observation on my point.

Tight Lines
i think you're bob-on there with every observation Alan. and as for continuing to fish with something that doesn't work for you... what's that about? weird. yep, drennan double strength; awful stuff! & how does anyone get on with co-polymer btw? i found it coiled up and kinked like crazy...

Laxdale

Quote from: Roobarb on September 01, 2017, 08:14:15 AM
Moving forward just two months...
The same guy turned up this week and used the same spool of Airflo Sightfree which had impressed me in June. He rose a good fish and it snapped straight off. Was it a duff knot? No. Was the leader damaged? No. This just goes to show that even the good fluorocarbon is suspect and can't be trusted.
You NEVER hear anyone say that Maxima (or Drennan sub surface) has snapped unexpectedly.
Have some respect for the fish and stop using stuff that you know will fail for no good reason at some point.

Andy

I was reading what Ian Gordon had to say about the trips he runs to Orkla/Gaula. This was some of his advice (echoed by most ghillies)-
"Leader Material - 18lb - 20lb Maxima, or I will have 17 - 20lb Berkley. For those who like Flurocarbon, its up to yourself but don't cry when it breaks!"

Go To Front Page