News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Replacement rod(s)

Started by Chase, December 30, 2016, 09:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chase

Hi All ,
I am looking for a replacement for my Greys (original ) GRXI 8"6" 4 weight as my daughter has broken it (I broke it many years ago while falling in - stop laughing - she was present )do you have any recommendations ? I obviously want as cheap as poss, fishing is usually small river stuff , dries , duo and sometimes streamers . Any suggestions - I was hoping to get something in the sales .
Also looking for 7" to 7"6" 3 weight  for similar work - to again replace an old Greys GRXI .

Hill loch gold

John norris has guideline exceed rods down from £200 plus to £83 i think. I know there was 7ft 6 4weights in the sale.

Chase

Thanks , have you used this rod ?

Wildfisher

You could try to get a second hand Sage ZXL or Z-Axis. I have both  and they are great rods - a cut above and a delight to fish with. I'd expect to pay £200 - £300.

Hill loch gold

arawa

Perhaps not exactly what you want, but a friend (on my recommendation  :shock:) bought his son an Orvis Encounter fly kit for Christmas. 8'6 #5 rod, reel and line for £149. We had a few casts before it was wrapped and were both very impressed with the rod and thought the package excellent value.

Bobfly

I have a Shakey Agility Rise at 8.5 feet and 4wt,  4 piece. Very pleasant light wee rod to use on small rivers or from a float tube. Not for heavy flies and strong winds though. There may be shorter versions and 3wts. Not expensive.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

johnny boy

i know you say "cheap as poss" but the feeling you get from a decent rod is something that cant be easily replicated.  I have fished for over 30 years so have had a few rods, there is nothing that can spoil a day like a bad rod, all you think of is that its not like it used to be.

You are indeed lucky your daughter fishes with you, treat yourself and go that extra bit, £100 - £150 should see you getting a good companion that will feel like an extension to your arm.

You would expect to get 5-6 years minimum from it, do the maths and you will see that the extra is worth it.

Unfortunately i cant suggest a specific rod as i am a 10 foot #6/7 man.  Happy shopping.

Inverguseran

The Shakespeare Agility Rise is a lot of rod for the money, I use an 8'#4 on small streams and am quite impressed with it.

alba

agility rise or a fladen will suit.

Go To Front Page