News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Purple flies?

Started by Lochan_load, January 18, 2017, 10:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

Just received delivery of a purple hen cape, a whiting one I got at a good price from eBay while enjoying a few drinks on Saturday night  :roll:, so i now need some patterns that require a purple hackle, answers on a postcard......or just here  :lol:

Wildfisher

Purple sedgehog - deadly!   :8)

rannoch raider

Purple and black seems to be very popular in Dutch Pike patterns. You could knock up a few deceivers with purple hackles between black bucktail or similar as over and underwings finished with a purple head hackle and silver eyes ? That would look good ?
There is also a purple spring salmon pattern from way back that was used by fishers on the Spey. As a tube it was purple bucktail tied around a silver tube and finished with jungle cock eyes and mobile purple hackle at the head. I'm sure I've got a few kicking around in a box somewhere. I suppose if you were tying a more 'modern' trendy version you could do a long tail shrimp style with a silver body palmered with purple hackle and again finished with a longer purple or black head hackle and jungle cock ?
I would imagine that a purple, black and silver shrimp tied in the same style as your recently posted and excellent shrimp flies would make a very attractive pattern Andy?

Robbie

I think the Silk Cut Shrimp used a purple hackle, you could try a wet version of that:

Thread - Black
Tail -  Purple Bucktail + a few strands of pearly Chrystal Hair.
Body - Flat Pearl
Wing - Purple Golden Pheasant Tippet
Hackle - Purple Cock

Maybe
Tippet tail, pearl body,  black body hackle and purple head hackle

Lochan_load

I've just googled the silk cut shrimp and the following fly is on youtube, looks a good colour combination. It's the peacock uni-Mylar which is a great colour, could definitely make a useful wet from it too, just need time to tie one now! Thanks Jim and Robbie, Fred not so much  :lol:

Lochan_load

[attachimg=1]

Laxdale

Had a good few on both a Purple Allys and a few on a Purple Editor (at Hamanaway).
A Purple Zulu would work and I thing a purple hackle may improve a Park Shrimp.

Go To Front Page