News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

The Altnacealgach Motel

Started by nacnud, March 10, 2014, 10:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunkeld

Cheers
Thanks for the update- car is packed and we're off in the morning
Will give a wee report on return

nacnud

The four of us enjoyed our trip apart from getting blown off Veyatie!
Some mayfly about but I don't think the trout were really "on them" yet.
Fished Borralan on Friday off the bank and caught the usual basket of trout, biggest 12oz, they were taking claret hopper fished wet plus damsel nymph and claret sedgehog.
Veyatie on Saturday and got blown off, high wind plus really bright sunshine, good for sunbathing in a sheltered bay but not for fishing, there was a club out bank fishing, a bus load of them, so really busy, not what your expecting in Assynt.
Cam on Sunday, great day with lots of fish, though nothing big, again about 12oz, they were on Kate Mc, Grouse and Claret, sedgehog and again the damsel, then fish started to move & we had great fun on dries, claret hopper, black CDC shuttlecock and CDC hopper, we lost count of the number of fish we took between the two boats 40+. There was a guy on Cam paddling around in a canoe who claimed to have take a 6lb fish the previous day in the bay below the cemetery where the boats are anchored, taken on a claret dabbler.
Monday we fished the morning on Urigill off the bank, 15+ fish between us, better average size but nothing over 12oz, though I did have a trout of well over 1lb come up to the dry fly. While there were lots of mayfly shucks in the water and some coming off the fish were again on the dries that worked on Cam.
We stayed in the Alt motel, which was clean and comfortable, however the meals served in the Alt bar left a lot to be desired, the bar was virtually empty. I only saw three other customers in over the weekend - hardly surprising as they only had lager on draft and very little bottled or canned beer. While the owners were very nice and helpful I can't see the place surviving, which would be a real shame.
I would suggest that anyone fishing in the area book their boats in advance if they want to fish specific lochs as there were few boats available.

Dunkeld

Thanks Nacnud
Fishing sounds as encouraging as ever - even the nemes if the lochs will mean I won't sleep much tonight  :D

I will have a pint in he Alt - cos it's the only show in town - it takes a 'personality' to run the show there and there hasn't been since Eric (RIP) and Christine - used to be full of locals ( there are more people around than you might think) and when you add the Anglers, Hillwalkers and Geologists/Fossil hunters staying around Elphin then it can work - soup and sandwiches in afternoon would work on that road

Anyway I hope they survive

Cheers

nacnud

TIGHT LINES WITH YOUR TRIP, LET ME KNOW HOW YOU GET ON AND I DO HOPE YOUR RIGHT ABOUT THE INN.

Go To Front Page