News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Barbed vs Barbless Hooks ................. again

Started by Wildfisher, July 11, 2014, 09:43:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do You Use Barbed Or Barbless Hooks - please elaborate (only participants can see poll results)

Barbed
Barblesss
Both

Wildfisher

I have ordered some Tiemco 103BL barbless hooks, they have a turned in point, so we shall see.  Strangely, they come in odd sizes, 13,15,17,19,21 etc. 

Robbie

Fred if I remember correctly they are a very fine wire hook, need to play fish quite gently to get them to hand not ideal for larger fish.

Wildfisher

I got the hooks Robbie and they are fine wire, however they appear to have a good temper. They are similar in gauge to Partridge Kinkhamer Extreme hooks and I have landed fish of up to 5lb on those. Only way to be sure is try them, so I've tied  up a few flies. I don't think they will get much of  a strength test on our local rivers, but it will be interesting to see how well they hold smaller fish, which I find are most likely to get off on the debarbed hooks I have been using!   :D

Wildfisher

Well that was interesting. Just spent a few hours down at "the local. Difficult fishing, but I managed 1/2 doz up to about 10 inches. This is the prime falling off size range  for the debarbed hooks I have been using. 

I was fishing with a tiny dry tied on a size 19 Tiemco 103BL barbless. Fine wire and in turned point.

I did not lose a single fish.

Looking at each fish what was very clear is these hooks penetrate  much further that barbed / debarbed (razor sharp and fine) and that might be the reason they seemed to hold better. They unhook easier than debarbed hooks too which is as well as I managed to drive one into my thumb right up to the bend.  :roll:

I'll stick with these a while and see how it goes. I really don't want to use barbed hooks if I can avoid it.     

Tiemco 103BL are not cheap though!

Robbie

Fred, Partridge SLD hooks may be an alternative. They have a slightly heavier gauge of wire but similar shape to the 103BL, I may have some 14's and 16's if you what to try them. Not sure how they compare on price but probably similar.

Wildfisher

Robbie, I really don't like Partridge hooks, but I'll give those a try.   

Wildfisher

Not even barbded hooks hold every fish Alan.

I was back out tonight, fishing dry flies tied on Tiemco 103BL barbless,  size 21 to 15. Lots of fish,  a few nice ones at that, did not lose a single one.

Wildfisher

I got some Partridge SLD barbless hooks and they don't look  much different from the Tiemco, again light wire, but the temper of the steel  is just as important as the gauge. I would like some heavier wire hooks  for wets and nymphs, so I have ordered some Kamasan carp hooks to see what they are like. Carp hooks have to be strong!

Robbie

I received a packet of Fulling Mill 35025 hooks which appear to be pretty good dry fly hooks. I had ordered them a couple of months ago from Sport Fish but they were not in stock at the time, had completely forgotten about them until I received an e-mail saying they had been dispatched!

Tiemco do a barbless wet fly hook 3769SP-BL, it has a spear point. I have not used them Mitch so can't comment on how good they are.

corsican dave

back on the barbs on Saturday afternoon. 5 takes, 5 pike.  :8) (brings the cost of the new sage pike rod down to £100 per pike, so far.... :roll:)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Go To Front Page