News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fiag Lodge

Started by superscot, October 07, 2014, 06:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loch coulter

Quote from: admin on October 19, 2014, 11:14:04 AM
OK John, point taken although, to be controversial once again,  I could hardly care less about anglers choosing not to visit Scotland - in fact if they are going to end up on "my"  waters I'd rather they didn't  :lol:
hope the New Zealand anglers dont feel the same :?

Wildfisher

I'm sure there will be those among them who worry about extra fishing pressure from visitors. I certainly would if Scottish fishing was up there in the world premier league like theirs.

Wildfisher

Goodness Liam, you sound like  a 1960s  American conservative.  "Go live in Russia"   :lol:

You just have to make the best of what you have. It's second rate, no denying but it's what we have and we are stuck with it.  It is better than England though, I'll grant  you that.  :lol:   

Robbie

From what I have seen on the forum, the season alone, Scotland can produce fish to match anywhere in the world. There may be a smaller percentage of better fish in the population, but to me that just makes its more rewarding when you find them. For the main part the vast majority of our fishing is easily accessible and reasonable safe.

I have not been fortunate enough to fish a "world class" destination such as New Zealand,  so admittedly may not be seeing the full picture. However I agree with John, it may well be a different type of fishing but I believe our fishing is pretty damn good.

Lochan_load

Maybe we should introduce some foreign fish that would thrive In our more hospitable waters Fred and we too could have some 'world class' fishing ;) I'm about ready to give up with all the second rate stuff on offer at the moment!

Wildfisher

We already have and it didn't work Andy. They ended up as bandies too.  :lol:

Lochan_load

On a serious note the price of accommodation is crazy, I'm amazed that they don't price themselves out of business, someone must be willing to pay it though

Wildfisher

I don't think they are really in the torn arse troot fisher marketplace Andy.  :lol: It's not us they are after, they couldn't be, the fishing is mediocre there. They are probably more into the city gent and his family up for a week break and to whom money is not an issue

haresear

Quote from: Element on November 16, 2014, 08:52:01 PM
My two penneth...

Scotland may be second rate fishing & experience to some folks that have had the opportunity & perhaps privilage to visit other countries and fished & experienced them. However, the greater majority back here in Scotland that have never been to other countries fishing (for trout) are less likely to mark Scotland as second rate; primarily given that they haven't eaten from another pie..

Stunningly gorgeous weather year round, midgies, clegs, ticks, peat hag bogs and more often bandies than minor whumpers... makes it whit it is. I look forward to another season of it next year.  :D

E.

Some of you will know that I've spent a lot of time fishing in New Zealand over the last 15 years, with a couple of trips to Canada thrown in, so I've seen some pretty good fishing.

A couple of years ago Fred and Riverchatter swanned off to NZ while I being skint, stayed at home. The consolation prize for me was that I got to spend three weeks river fishing in Scotland during late spring - prime time.

I had three weeks of world class fishing in Scotland in the season of my life and although I haven't kept a diary, I know that I had fish to 5lb 8oz, 12 trout over 4lb with lots over 3lb and I had a lot of fish over the season (I fished a lot) with a ridiculous average size. The high average size was largely due to only casting to rising or sighted fish.

Now, okay that season was truly exceptional in Scottish terms, but I would have been very happy with that result in New Zealand. Even my Kiwi pals were impressed and told me so when I saw them in 2013.

To be realistic, while we do have some great fishing for big fish on rivers and lochs, that is not the norm. What we do have in abundance is lots of waters and lots of fish. That is the bread and butter .

NZ is to be honest, incomparable as the number of waters with a very high average size is mind blowing. That is why you meet so many anglers from Europe, Asia, Australia and America there. They obviously think their waters are second rate :)

QuoteI don't think they are really in the torn arse troot fisher marketplace Andy.  :lol: It's not us they are after, they couldn't be, the fishing is mediocre there. They are probably more into the city gent and his family up for a week break and to whom money is not an issue

That sounds about right.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Highlander

QuoteScotland may be second rate fishing & experience to some folks that have had the opportunity & perhaps privilage to visit other countries and fished & experienced them. However, the greater majority back here in Scotland that have never been to other countries fishing (for trout) are less likely to mark Scotland as second rate; primarily given that they haven't eaten from another pie..

Stunningly gorgeous weather year round, midgies, clegs, ticks, peat hag bogs and more often bandies than minor whumpers... makes it whit it is. I look forward to another season of it next year. 

I totally agree, whilst some foreign destination are but a dream for some I think that on occasion we have fishing that would match the best anywhere. The fishing here is what it is hard but if you are selective good fishing can still be had.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page