News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Scoop nets.

Started by JimJams, August 27, 2016, 10:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimJams

What's the actual name for these sort of scoop nets? Specifically the mesh? Are they durable? Worth getting?

Inchlaggan

Scoop net is the most popular term. Another is "teardrop gye". Your image is similar to an Orvis Brodin Eco-Clear, not cheap at £125, and thus I have no idea of their worth. See-  http://www.orvis.co.uk/p/brodin-eco-clear-nets/2GA9?adv=19052&cm_mmc=PLAs-_-google-_-allprod-_-19052&mr:referralID=241a6ace-6c93-11e6-8083-005056941669&gclid=CLnsk_a04s4CFSQz0wodBT0CbA
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Lochan_load

Think it's just called rubber mesh, there's cheaper ones available than the orvis. Never used one either though

corsican dave

we got a couple of these. they're superb!  :D
http://www.handypaknetco.com/
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Bobfly

Orvis sell these "Trophy Scoop Nets" for their price of £125. Stillwater sell one which is pretty near identical for £29.99 available from the GAC. The wide plastic silicone type rubber is good for not fouling up your hooks and the mesh is fish friendly. Very good net for river wading type fishing or float tubing.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

johnny boy

They are good nets when fishing from a tube as they fit well onto the side and are not too cumbersome, for bank fishing i would recommend something bigger.

I had a Ron Thompson pan net that cost £15 and lasted 5 years but eventually delaminated,you get what you pay for i suppose, that said i would never pay £125 for a landing net.

My latest one is metal with a plastic handle, best they had in the local shop at the time, wish i had shopped round on-lne as its nowhere near as nice as the wooden one but i like to support the local shop where i can, if we dont support then they will be gone.

ant0

Quote from: corsican dave on August 27, 2016, 11:15:27 PM
we got a couple of these. they're superb!  :D
http://www.handypaknetco.com/
I've been looking for one of those for a while but not found a UK sales outlet as yet. Did you get yours in UK or import it?
Cheers
Anthony

(PS might be handy for the loch were both visiting this weekend if they're as big as we think)

JimJams

I ended up ordering the £30 one on GAC.

corsican dave

Quote from: ant0 on September 22, 2016, 09:24:44 PM
I've been looking for one of those for a while but not found a UK sales outlet as yet. Did you get yours in UK or import it?
Cheers
Anthony

(PS might be handy for the loch were both visiting this weekend if they're as big as we think)
hi Anthony! ordered them direct from the Handy Paknet Co. in the States. outstanding service from owner Ed Welker. just do it; you won't be sorry. if I dis it again i'd probably go with the c&r mesh, but the standard version is knotless anyway. and yes, it'll be coming up the hill with me tomorrow  :wink:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

ant0

Quote from: corsican dave on September 22, 2016, 10:32:21 PM
hi Anthony! ordered them direct from the Handy Paknet Co. in the States. outstanding service from owner Ed Welker. just do it; you won't be sorry. if I dis it again i'd probably go with the c&r mesh, but the standard version is knotless anyway. and yes, it'll be coming up the hill with me tomorrow  :wink:
Cheers,  just ordered one and only £28 incl postage to UK.

Go To Front Page