News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Favourite/best tackle shop?

Started by burnie, March 08, 2016, 09:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fergie

What was the wee shop in Anniesland opposite the train station called.?
I think they had another shop along in clydebank too.

Highlander

Quotedad owned a shop in Cumbernauld Village and he took it over eventually opening GAC
I am going back further 60s, Devlin was the name. I could be wrong but I remember someone telling me that.
Shop in Cumbernauld was /is PD Sports. Paul Devlin ?

Shop in Clydebank may well have been Tausney Sports. (sp) Remember an Anniesland shop but can not remember name at moment. They may indeed have had a second shop.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Fishtales

Highlander

That's it, Paul Devlin, PD Tackle? The more I think about it I may have started going in there at the start of the '70's just after I started fly tying. I remember he used to have a box on the floor full of Indian cock capes that you could rummage through to find the colour you wanted :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Billy

Tausneys in Clydebank was where I got my first rod and reel.

Great shop.

Billy

Suki1312

Quote from: Moggie on March 09, 2016, 05:23:40 PM
Hugo Ross in Wick.   Quality, extremely helpful and knowledgeable.

Used to use Hugo most years for our ventures to Watten etc . Have to say he was a dour bugger most of the time , but as stated he was very Knowledgeable of fishing up there . Found a tackle shop in Thurso at the end of the main street called Harpers . A right aladins cave of a place , could of spent hours in it . And his homemade flies for the area were superb .
Every day is a school day

Andrew Moray

Quote from: fergie on March 11, 2016, 12:44:11 AM
Cafaros ?

aliferste

John Norris of Penrith was a bloody let down!

Highlander

QuoteCafaros ?
No Tony, Cafaro's had a small shop in Cowcaddens, it was a wee family shop. I first bought my first Bluebottle Spiders there.They had them tied for the shop by the originator a fly fisherman from Hurlford in Ayrshire. These also stocked a range of flies called Murray's Firefly which used a wool called DFM (Daylight Fluorescent Material for bodies & sometimes tails. Nearest equivalent to day would be Glowbrite but not a floss, spun wool. The two sons carried on the name one was  called Pat & I think the other was Gerard but I could be wrong on the latter name. They subsequently moved to larger premises top of Hope Street near the STV studios. Sadly they had to call it a day a few years back which was a shame but people including myself just fell away when GAC opened.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Andrew Moray

Quote from: Highlander on June 27, 2016, 04:12:20 PM
No Tony, Cafaro's had a small shop in Cowcaddens, it was a wee family shop.
Thanks Alan, I remember it now.
Can't think of the Anniesland shop name now, was in it with a friend of mine many moons ago when he got kit for the canal, and a miserable trip to Finnart, afore it all got fenced off.

Tony

Lochan_load

Quote from: fergie on March 11, 2016, 12:44:11 AM

Danny's den? There was one called that at Yoker cross and pretty sure they had a second shop somewhere, possibly anniesland

Go To Front Page