News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you bought on auctions that pleased you? & what did not.

Started by Highlander, January 07, 2016, 05:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

On a slightly different theme than below posting. All E Bay

For me my best buys were a signed copy of Sharp's  Let's Fish The Clyde of which recently I was offered £200 for (pristine)
Stewart's Practical Angler with coloured plates of flies in wallet A 1927 edition (excellent condition)
Lawries Scottish Trout Flies. ( Pristine)
All for around £20 each
All copies from No1 edition(1962-1964) of the now defunct Rod & Line magazine in publisher's binders again around £20.
Think there was a few more copies after 64 but I can live with that.

Many others but these were the best of the bunch.

Worse:  Of a job jot of fishing gear with one of the items a Kingfisher Silk line which was what I wanted which proved to be rotten but it was always a chancy one.
A Millwards fly reel from the 70s that was described as "New" which was fine enough but internal check mechanism was broken &  no spare parts available. To be fair the seller refunded my money with an apology.

Not the worse but a lesson in not checking. I bought a first edition (pristine & signed) Reid's Clyde Fly Dressings for £100
much to my wife's disapproval only to find out that two months later it was out as a reprint for £12. Now having said that my first edition is still available at £100+ on Cochy-Y Bondhu books website so though it is not for sale no harm done it seems.
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Lochan_load

Best, my new hardy ultralite Dd salmon reel, bought brand new for £117, only bid! think it's £300 retail and a brand new shakey expedition tube for £60 off gumtree. Exactly essay I wanted (was never getting a Parton!) and brand new and half what I thought I'd pay for a second hand one   :D

Worst pff where to start! Only one in recent memory was the jc cape I got last year from eBay, not many splits but it was much smaller than it appeared ( about half the size of a normal one) and the nails were so pale they were pretty much white, I saved the day by dying it sunburst......which split most of the eyes  :?

corsican dave

the tosser that bought a classic fly reel off me at a bargain price with postage and packing clearly listed at £4.50. I gave good feedback as soon as payment was received (as per e-bay policy). he then demanded a refund of the difference between the actual postage costs and my P&P charge. the princely sum of £1.17 :shock: when I politely & quite rightly refused, he gave me negative feedback with incredibly rude comments which e-bay only removed after a protracted battle. since i'd already given positive feedback for him I had nowhere to go.... so be warned!

never again  :x
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

bibio1

Quote from: corsican dave on January 07, 2016, 05:38:37 PM
the tosser that bought a classic fly reel off me at a bargain price with postage and packing clearly listed at £4.50. I gave good feedback as soon as payment was received (as per e-bay policy). he then demanded a refund of the difference between the actual postage costs and my P&P charge. the princely sum of £1.17 :shock: when I politely & quite rightly refused, he gave me negative feedback with incredibly rude comments which e-bay only removed after a protracted battle. since i'd already given positive feedback for him I had nowhere to go.... so be warned!

never again  :x

I sold a.reel to a guy for £300.on eBay.he paid 200 and then I went back and asked for the other hundred..after a battle he paid it.  He then raised a claim with paypal. That he'd paid too much and it wasn't  as described etc. PayPal dismissed immediately. He tried to get the whole lot for fk all.

corsican dave

Quote from: bibio1 on January 07, 2016, 05:50:18 PM
I sold a.reel to a guy for £300.on eBay.he paid 200 and then I went back and asked for the other hundred..after a battle he paid it.  He then raised a claim with paypal. That he'd paid too much and it wasn't  as described etc. PayPal dismissed immediately. He tried to get the whole lot for fk all.
in a way that's good to hear Paul. I've come across many stories where they've always sided with the buyer over the seller, so hearing them on your side restores a bit of faith.

however, how about; buyer receives electrical equipment (working when sent), takes it apart (?) then claims it wasn't working... claims full refund and seller has to foot the bill for carriage both ways. when seller receives goods back he realises it's not the one he sent out..... despite the buyer admitting he took it apart before informing seller the goods were faulty ( :?), paypal upheld buyers claim. my mate, the seller ended up losing a perfectly good industrial food processor worth hundreds, paying for carriage both ways and receiving a piece of junk in return.

so the message here is; if selling, be sure you can positively identify your property and don't give feedback until you're sure the transaction is complete
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Highlander

Quoteprice with postage and packing clearly

Some people (tossers) only look at the postage stamp on the parcel & thinking that is all it took to send it. What do they not note the cost of the bubble pack or the cardboard box the string & the cellotape never mind your time in packing it & driving to the post office. I never give feedback untill I receive theirs first. I have all positive feedback but I can see where it can be manipulated 9/10 it will be the buyer who gives the negative for whatever reason or not. The seller can at least reply to negative feedback but if someone gives bad feedback for no good reason it is sickening. You can of course complain but it takes a wee bit of time to resolve. If I do not get feedback I do not reply.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

dapper

Rod bundles. Latest upcycle is a 3-piece 11' dibbling rod with "fighting butt" - Norwich top, diamondback middle, Steelhead (amended) butt - got the avatar fish on it - the extended handle behind the reel is for resting on thigh to enable longer, easier dibbles - 11' helps too - it's about an #5/6.

Go To Front Page