News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Your favourite drogue?

Started by Joakim, June 30, 2016, 12:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy

You could fit a sliding clip where the fixing rope connects to the four corner ropes.
That way you could slide it up or down to shorten the four ropes which in turn either opens up the drogue or closes it slightly affecting the drag.

I sort of knew what I meant when I started typing!

Billy

Otter Spotter

Quote from: Billy on June 30, 2016, 02:23:54 PM
You could fit a sliding clip where the fixing rope connects to the four corner ropes.
That way you could slide it up or down to shorten the four ropes which in turn either opens up the drogue or closes it slightly affecting the drag.

I sort of knew what I meant when I started typing!

Billy

I gave up trying to explain the same thing :)
The Greys one 4 corners to 2 fixing points makes it easy to deploy, adjust and reclaim. The 4 corners to 1 single rope to the boat I have found to be a pita :)
We had a side by side test on MSP, Greys V Tony's home mader (Which I believe is the same as the one Fred posted) the only disadvantage with the shop bought is the cost, in terms of performance the shop bought hosed it :)
So my recommendation would be if you are making one follow the Greys design it really makes a huge difference. Also worth noting is the amount of use you anticipate it will get if its a couple of times a season then make one. If you plan to spend a lot of time on the water then IMHO the £35 quid is money well invested.

I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

Joakim

Thank you very much guys, really helpful. Leaning towards buying the Greys or the Wychwood with clamps. I like DIY's, but this time I'm buying one.

bibio1

Quote from: Billy on June 30, 2016, 12:48:23 PM
I used to have a Wychwood which was good.

I tied a small plastic ball from a toilet ballcock onto it so that if it broke away it would float to the surface and make it easy to find. :)
Trouble is that its out Airdrie way now.   :roll:

Billy

I can vouch for that drogue......it's brilliant and customised. Sadly I'll have to give it back to the owner in September. It'll miss me. :makefun

Billy

You will need to babysit it for another year Paul.
Up to now I don't have plans for heading out to the uists. But it could easily change.

I'll make a deal with you.
I won't charge you rental if you let me off with the storage charge  :lol:

Billy

Go To Front Page