News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Floatant / Waterproofer For CDC Flies

Started by Wildfisher, April 28, 2017, 10:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Normal floatant can clog up CDC. I have found this works better. A lifetime supply costs a a fiver.

[attachimg=1]

Simply decant a small amount into a small leak proof bottle with a wide neck and stick it in a pocket. After you have toed on the fly dip it in the liquid, pull it out and shake it dry or give it the rubber band treatment.

It works very well on CDC and does not clog the feather barbs. I have not tried it on normal fur and feather patterns, but Gink / Dilly Wax works for those anyway.   

Highlander

Good for you Fred, I have a unused bottle of that stuff in my hut. Never occurred to me to use it for flies. Will give it a try now.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

Just hooked and lost a very big fish that took me to the backing on a CDC dry fly treated with this stuff  this morning Alan. The fly still looks good, but  I am as sick as a parrot whose feathers were not treated before total immersion in the South Esk. Not that there are many parrots there of course but I'm sure you get my drift.   :lol:

Inverguseran

Must give it a try. I am sure I have some in the car.

haresear

Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on April 28, 2017, 10:52:19 PM
Excellent idea

Or alternatively,  more shit to carry.  :lol:

Has to be worth a try and works fine on CDC. One thing to remember is that the same property  that makes CDC float well is the same property that makes it saturate well - vast numbers of fine feather barbs that trap air (or water). No waterproofing  can eliminate that  and in fact regular floatant can destroy that property by clogging up the air gaps. This stuff certainly does not clog up the feather with gunk. Early days, but so far I have found it works great.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Inverguseran on April 28, 2017, 10:08:26 PM
Must give it a try. I am sure I have some in the car.

Certainly worth a try Davey.   :8)

Go To Front Page