News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What's Your Strangest Catch

Started by hopper, December 09, 2012, 09:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoolet

Dad lost his deerstalker one day in a high wind when Harling the dungeon pool with old Snowie, came in for lunch then , when back out in the afternoon the outside rod went, dad played it for ages when up popped the deerstalker, lip hooked.....I kid you not.

Hoolet.
Ye Canny Fry A Rise!

Inchlaggan

Had an eel on the fly once, thought I'd hooked a monster.
When trolling spotted a family of otters on the shore. Stopped the engine and went for the camera, leaving a floating rapala out the back of the boat which drifted into the bay where the otters were splashing about. The biggest otter spotted it and dived in. I was absolutely terrified that it would take the lure and did not dare reel in. My mate was smarter and slapped the water with an oar. The otter came up just short of the lure and after we did a little shouting and splashing disappeared.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

lochetive

Seal from Oban Pier whilst fishing for Congers - the toursists were well impressed with the fight - untill he popped his head up about 20 yards out with my hook in his jaw! Also Also had some very exciting follows from Sharks in Thailand - they shot up to the spinner from out of nowhere and then just stopped dead at the bait and never took ie. Also they only did this with a particular spinner - one with a faily big rubber fish on it - must be the vibrations of the rubber fish I guess.

rannoch raider

An Argyll patterned sock while fishing in Argyll. :-0

superscot

A massive huge Gannet while fishing of the Bass rock, what a bother that was to retrieve the lure and release the bird, I never  knew they were that big and for a few moments thought i had caught my biggest fish to date   

SoldierPmr

Last year I had a continuous battle with some thing cutting through my leader at Anglers crag Ennerdale. I finally put a pike trace on and used a big yellow and silver doctor fly to have on the end a terrapin only lasted a few seconds before it snapped through the trace. Havn't seen it this year.

Middle of July this year I went to watendlath  tarn stockie bashing a mallard flew into the middle of the tarn when my friend said I could do with duck for tea just casting out done a double haul (wasn't even aiming for this bird) my line lassoed around the bloody duck put up a good fight and flew into my other friends boat and snapped off.

Clan Chief

On the day Andy Murray won Wimbledon I actually hooked and landed a tennis ball at Hillend Loch from the boat whilst fishing a yellow dancer lure!

free the bees

Out mackerel fishing off the fife coast and hooked a couple.  Just then, seal came up and followed them in.  Was a race to see if I could reel in faster than he could swim. I lost and he caught one of my mackerel and off he went.  Had to clamp my reel to snap the line.

10 minutes later. It happened to my mate! 

highlander2504

Fishing for pollock with a rubber eel, a cormorant managed to attach itself to the hook. First and only time I have had to play anything in mid air. After landing the bird it proceeded to spit oily fish gunk all over me as I tried to unhook it. Thankfully no-one was harmed and we both went our seperate ways.

Mark

Landed a manky pair of knickers on the Tummel last year. It felt like a good fish at first too , but I think she was just a big girl :D

Go To Front Page