News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Bostik 2402

Started by Lochan_load, June 21, 2017, 04:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

Following on from the waders repair thread......I bought some aquasure and acetone and applied it, seems decent enough but the tube is pretty titchy so it'd be impractical to do your whole wader. Had a look about and found this bostik 2402 which is for fixing dry suits, wet suits, rubber dinghys etc and comes in decent sized tins rather than dinky tubes. Anyone tried this for waders and have any experiences with it? Can it be thinned? And it comes with hardener which makes me wonder if it sets hard or retains its rubberyness (if that's a word) all thoughts welcome

Andy

Wildfisher

I'm pretty sure Dave uses something like that thinned down.

Bobfly

A banana skin to watch out for here it the very tacky and sticky finish you may get with the Bostic mix. That makes the waders really difficult to get on and get off again later !! Whatever Diver Dave uses is really sticky. Aquasure has a smooth and slippery surface, which is also why you should sprinkle a bit of sand on it if you are using it on soles or anywhere on boots.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Lochan_load

I've decided to go for it and ordered the bostik 2402, done a wee bit of digging and seems you can thin it with turps but I'll experiment with that before applying to my waders. Any suggestions as to something I could add that would make it less sticky (similar to the sand idea but in reverse!)
It's cost me 20 quid but probably enough to last a lifetime, hopefully my three pairs of leaky waders will soon become an embarrassment of riches!

Inchlaggan

I don't know, but I would experiment with talc.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Lochan_load

Talc is what had crossed my mind too, I'll experiment on my older ones to see the best solution

Highlander

R D Taylor in Edminston Drive Glasgow ( 427 5103) is the Scottish distributor for Bostic products. They would advise you on best course.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Lochan_load

Wee update;

I got the bostik a bit cheaper from a company called Cromwell tools, when it arrived it had an expiration date of 2016 hence the cheaper price but opened it up (its well sealed) and it appeared fine. Very potent stuff, I had a good sniff not realising how strong it was and ended up giggling my head off followed by a short lived sore head! Quite good actually  :lol:
Diluted it down with white spirit and then added the hardener, used a 2" paint brush to apply to the seam, goes on quite thick and sticky but once dried is actually quite fine. Not as sticky as expected. Have done 2 coats on the seams and 3 on the knees and crotch which are always the problem areas and have to say impression is that it could be a winner, as said not too sticky although this could be a problem if you did the whole material and not just the seams and I can't see any water getting through as it has rubberised the whole seam. The proof of the pudding will come when i get into the water but quietly confident.

Wildfisher

Interesting stuff. I have 2 pairs of breathable waders. One good pair of Simms that I only use on rivers / lochs where I know they won't get trashed with barbed wire, brambles, thistles etc and an old pair of Bisons that I use on waters like the Lunan where I have destroyed several pairs.

The Bisons were leaking  again last week so I turned  them  inside out  and hung them  up (outside) then filled them with water and that way found 3 tiny pin holes, probably bramble induced. It's amazing just how tiny a pin hole can be yet still soak you.

Anyway  I marked them with a magic marker then dried out the waders. I then sealed the holes with clear silicon RTV and let the repairs dry for 24 hours. As the repairs and done on the inside you can't see them.

Used the Bisons the other day and came home dry.

If your Bostik method works it should be possible to extend the life of your waders by years.

Mark

Ive tried diluted down stormsure but its expensive stuff so this may be a much better solution
How long did the bostik take to dry?

Will be interesting to hear how it is when tested for a couple of days.

Go To Front Page