News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

The Altnacealgach Motel

Started by nacnud, March 10, 2014, 10:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nacnud

I've booked online for a weekend in June at the Altnacealgach Motel, paid deposit and received confirmation etc.

However I tried calling the Motel, on the number given on their website "01854 666260" and got a" number not recognised" message - does anyone know if the Motel is still open and if so what the telephone number is?

Wildfisher

That's certainly the correct number. Perhaps there is a temporary problem. Try again tomorrow if not you could try  the Assynt Angling group - they might know what's gong on.   http://www.assyntangling.co.uk/

nacnud

Thanks, will update on progress etc.

nacnud

Have had a reply via email from the Alt. They say they are updating their website and have confirmed my booking in June.

wee brownie

Hi

I dont know if you know that The Altna Motel changed hands last year. The place doesn't really come alive till end of May, and they are still probably trying to get organised for the new season.
The wee wifey that used to own it, and give out the permits for the Loch Boralan will be sadly missed.

Where are you planning to fish?

nacnud

Probably Camm and or Veyatie, but any suggestions would be welcome. We are going over the weekend of 6th to 9th June if everything works out.
I stayed & fished there a few years ago and had a great time despite the weather. Fished Borralan early morning and evening after dinner this from the bank, made a great start & finish to the day.

Duncan

wee brownie

Hi

Elphin is something special that not many people realise as they pass through to Scourie. We go there two or three times a year.
We have a campervan (me, my wife, and my wee dug) and usually park with the owners permission in the motel car park , or along at the old quarry.

Borralan is full of wee trout and should have mayfly starting to come off when you are there, a bit over fished but good at both ends (try around the crannog).  Try a big black fly like a Katie, or soldier palmer greased up and pulled. Or if you are into it size 20 wee black dries around the weed beds.

The cam is my favourite, especially with the mayfly on it  It has lots of good hot spots, and the burn is worth a go.

Veyatie doesn't have limestone except at the jetty end , so not much if any mayfly. The very top end of veyatie is worth a try where the burn runs out. 

Have you tried urigill? Its really good up beside the bothy where the burns converge.

Let me know if you need any specific details.

nacnud

Thanks for the info, very useful. Last time I was there we had mayflies coming off on Camm, and had great fun, especially using light weight #4 rods that let the trout give a good account of themselves.
I tend to fish dries a lot, my favourite method on lochs and rivers.
Seeing what you are saying about Urigill this could be on the agenda rather than Veyatie, the size of which is a bit daunting, on my last visit it was far too windy to fish Veyatie.
As I said Borralan is very convenient for a cast the afternoon we arrive, the morning we leave, after dinner etc, just gives us an alternative for a few hours, I don't think we would fish it for a full day, though we did have some nice trout amongst the wee ones and it's nice to have a cast from the bank rather than sitting in a boat all the time, provided the midges aren't too bad.

Thanks for the info and yes I'll probably be back in touch nearer the time.

Tight lines

Duncan   

Dunkeld

How did things go Nacnud?
We'll be heading up tomorrow, I've got boats booked on Cam and Urigal with a planned walk into Fada and wee Borrallan whenever I choose so really looking forward to reuniting my soul with Suilven.
Deer hair sedges and emergers in place and Whisky packed  :D

How was the Alt?

Cheers

wee brownie

Hi
I was up at the ult two weeks ago (take food if you are arriving on Friday, as there is no dinner served then). The mayflies had just started to appear. The good news is the average size has increased. I was getting 2 and 3 to the pound with three or four close to the pound mark on the Cam. James (the lad with the permits) said Urigill was doing well but I didn't get a chance to fish it as I was up the hills. Interstingly there was a film crew up in Elphin filming fishing on Veyatie, so bang goes another wee secret place (not so wee but secret enough)
I'm hoping to go back up in a couple of weeks, so let me know how you get on.
Tell James I was asking for him, tight lines.

p.s  take a grey wolf (or green if you have it) and a soldier palmer .

Go To Front Page