News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Making a Hardwood Net

Started by harelug, May 17, 2007, 12:32:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rabbitangler

Lots of woods can be bent, ash, elm, cherry, my latest is made from Purpleheart & Ash looks lovely. theres a crowd in the states use all sorts of exotic woods for frames & handles, but charge appropriate prices.

The hardest bit, for those non techies (yeah, me too), is the former, its so much easier if you have a decent bandsaw & drum sander to gice it a good finish. Also an endless supply of sash cramps is handy if you use more than one laminate in the bow.

The bags are a pain, either you buy replacement bags from someone like snowbee or make your own. Redport nets used to do nets in small quantities, I bought about a dozen 12-15 years ago but I've used them up long since & they don't seem to do small quantities. I made Broontroots young lad a wee net and used the mesh you get for inside jackets which I dyeds, I'm thinking of using the same stuff for my new net, I'll let you know if it works.

hibsman

I've just ordered two replacement nets (large and medium) from cabela's: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0011260313770a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=replacement+nets&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=replacement+nets&noImage=0

When the nets arrive (surface mail  :roll:) I'll get started, much to consider before then ...

All the best

Chris

harelug

Chris

Missed your post on sourcing nets but looks like you've solved that one yourself. I hoped my original post made net attachment clear, maybe not. I make a groove around the outer surface of the hoop to accommodate a retaining cord , something like heavy duty braided line backing. The appropriate number of holes are drilled through the hoop to accommodate the loops round the perimeter of your net. Pass the retaining cord through each hole through the net loop, back through the same hole and pull the net loop into the hole, continue round net. Hope this makes sense. Possibly an easier way and definitely better if you ever have to replace the mesh and can't find a bag with the same number of loops, forget cutting a groove, spiral the retaining cord round the hoop passing it through the perimeter mesh of the net on each spiral. Perhaps a couple of drilled holes as anchor points for retaining cord wouldn't go amiss.
if you need any other help feel free to ask, I'll help if I can.

John
There is no greater
  fan of fly fishing

Than the worm

hibsman

Cheers John, when the nets arrive I'll prob bombard you with queries  :)

hibsman

Well, the nets have arrived from cabela's  :).   The medium is tiny and I can't imagine I'll ever use it.  The circumference of the large net is 46" which feels about right.   The net is not as deep as I would have liked but I'll crack on anyway.

The main form and handle template are more or less there. 

I'm going to try and avoid pre-bending the wood by using many thin laminations ... not entirely sure if it will work, but I'll give it a go  :wink:

John, where did you get these things from:
http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=318T&dir_id=6337&group_id=6367&cat_id=7609&subcat_id=7602&bhcp=1

The orvis ones are a bit pricey!

cheers

Chris

harelug

QuoteJohn, where did you get these things from:
http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=318T&dir_id=6337&group_id=6367&cat_id=7609&subcat_id=7602&bhcp=1

The orvis ones are a bit pricey!

Chris

I went down the Orvis road, that was over 10 years ago and all that was available at the time in magnetic retainers. I'm sure there are a couple of cheaper options available these days. Alex (Haresear) uses a similar one which I think was a bit cheaper. There are also other non magnetic options available. The magnetic ones aren't always as easy to connect as the blurb makes out, I frequently have to reach both hands behind my neck/shoulders and connect them by hand.
Or go to your local joinery manufacturer or  saw mill they'll usualy cut down anything you want to any size quite reasonably.

QuoteOr go to your local joinery manufacturer or  saw mill they'll usualy cut down anything you want to any size quite reasonably.

Black-don

Exactly what I did with my first net but I had problems. Perhaps my choice of woods wasn't good but the sawmill wasn't really geared up for a fine cut down to 3/16-1/4 in. I'm not talking about a  large scale rough sawmill, they were a small business catering for the joinery trade but they ripped through the  wood which caused it to fracture while bending. I didn't have the same problem using dressed strips from the mouldings section of B&Q or Homebase.

John
There is no greater
  fan of fly fishing

Than the worm

brit in a bothy

How about a japanese style 'Tenkara' net ?  I made mine of sycamore, arms steamed, scarf jointed and epoxied -  then dowel pins added for extra security. Total cost, GBP 2/50 for the aquarists net.

Nigel

Wildfisher

Go To Front Page