News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Grayling Chowder

Started by speydulika, May 29, 2015, 10:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

speydulika

Czech nymphing I will concede is not every anglers favourite brew. There are many times however when it has saved me from limping home with my proverbial tail between my legs after achieving a big fat zero, blank, nada, niche........ok ok I'm sure you all get the idea. A small selection of stuff that I put together and keep in the dark cellar to get 'down and dirty'. Who puts these things in my head????? I blame the voices  :shock:

The things have 32 turns of medium lead wire which makes them sink quicker than Atlantis. If however extra ballast is needed in fast churning water then how about adding an anvil?

I will provide a dressing list if anybody wants one but not right now as I am really tired. The list of materials is a little more complex than the patterns might reflex and I have been out til daft o clock this morning chasing sea trout with a couple of clients. I am gonna try for a little snooze in my office. Please don't tell my boss  :?

corsican dave

what i'd really appreciate sometime is a very detailed step-by-step of the weaving process for the polish style nymphs. I've seen video tutorials etc but mine just end up a mess. probably very difficult to take photos and weave the nymph at the same time, I guess.....?
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

speydulika

The weave after practice is fairly straightforward to undertake. The practice is however critical. The trick to the pattern is not so much in the weaving technique but more in the building of the correct profile for the underbody. This should be constructed to have a really skinny harris end and then a graduated build up to the front. In the majority of bug patterns that people tie this is where the critical error is made and it is virtually impossible to retrieve once the fly dresser has committed to it.

Regarding a step by step I get asked this question quite a lot. The major problem that I have is that once you start the weave you use both hands and can not release the flosses until the weave is finished. I have asked my wife on numerous occasions to photograph me in stages but she usually loses concentration and goes off and plays with our cat. All I can offer is if you attend next years BFFI I should be tying on the Chevron Hackles Stand. If you attend and come and find me I will demonstrate it to you and you can then have a go and we can work on the technique for you.

Best regards,
Geoff

haresear

Very nicely tied flies Geoff. The Ammonite nymph and the pink shrimps in particular look good.

QuoteThis should be constructed to have a really skinny harris end

I wonder what a harris end was for a moment there.  :lol: You can say arse if you like. Look, I just did. Arse! :lol:

Alex
Protect the edge.

Harpo

Cracking looking flies

I did hope this was going to be a recipe for Grayling soup though!

burnie

Quote from: Harpo on May 29, 2015, 06:00:44 PM
Cracking looking flies

I did hope this was going to be a recipe for Grayling soup though!
I'm told they are really nice bar-b-q'd, never had the heart to chap one on the head, so haven't tried one.
Nice flies Geoff.

rannoch raider

Really nice flies and tying there Geoff. Those woven patterns are fantastic. Great to get some top tips on forming the body too. Many thanks.

fergie

Quote from: burnie on May 29, 2015, 07:13:07 PM
I'm told they are really nice bar-b-q'd, never had the heart to chap one on the head, so haven't tried one.
Nice flies Geoff.

Their nice baked in tin foil with some butter.
Oh and some really nice nymphs there  :D

Fishtales

Quote from: corsican dave on May 29, 2015, 10:34:56 AM
what i'd really appreciate sometime is a very detailed step-by-step of the weaving process for the polish style nymphs. I've seen video tutorials etc but mine just end up a mess. probably very difficult to take photos and weave the nymph at the same time, I guess.....?

There is a step by step in the sticky Dave.

http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=8563.0
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

corsican dave

Quote from: Fishtales on May 30, 2015, 11:06:13 AM
There is a step by step in the sticky Dave.

http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=8563.0
superb! thanks very much  :D i'll get my embroidery thread out again....
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Go To Front Page