News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

rod turner

Started by col, November 02, 2009, 04:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

col

A total begginer in this never built a rod but i have intentions  of starting one soon!Which rod turner would you reccomend,and do i need one?

Col

stickleback

Col

It's not a 'must have' item.  As Fachan says, you can use bits of wood with Vs cut out to cradle the rod and turn it by hand as the epoxy over the thread wrappings dries - for Flexcoat Lite epoxy on my first build I did it that way and turned the blanks 180 degrees every 10 minutes for the first 2 hours, then every 20 minutes for the next 2 hours and it came out okay.

A proper rod turner makes it easier to apply the epoxy and IMHO does dry nicer BUT they add to your costs.  The cheapest I could find was the battery operated Stonefly Rotary Fly Drier & Rod Turner from Blakdogtackle.com (yes that's the correct spelling) which cost me ?27 inclusive of P&P.  The turner holds the blank in place with three screws so you have to protect your blank by wrapping it with a two or three coats of masking tape where the screws come in contact with it.  A tip I got to ensure the screws don't come loose (after my near disaster) whilst it is turning is to run a loop of tape so it runs across the head of all three of the screws.

If you want to keep costs down, you're welcome to have a loan of mine, just PM me your details when you need it. 

Cheers

Cammy

Go To Front Page