News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Flurocarbon Tippet

Started by Wildfisher, July 10, 2017, 09:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arawa

But if anyone does want some flurocarbon tippet, I stopped at the House of Bruar on my way north today. They had a sale box of Riverge and similar spools in varying sizes at "up to 50% off". I did not buy any as I have moved back to Maxima.

Suki1312

Like most lines flouro has good and bad . used maxima all my life and recently started using fulling mill 6lb flouro and have to say im real impressednever had a failure . each to there own
Every day is a school day

Laxdale

It is the job of ghillie types ( me. Andy, Ian G, etc) to get anglers fish. Knocking your pan in for a day only for the only hook up to suddenly depart (oooh, I dont know what happened there) for no good reason is terrible. Hence we, for the most part, try and get anglers to avoid fluoro. We would not be doing our job otherwise.
A lot of the guys that fish Norway with flouro use 30-40 lb bs stuff to ensure reliability.   :D :D

I now reserve the right to say "I told you so" whilst laughing.

Suki1312

Quote from: Roobarb on February 19, 2018, 10:24:07 AM
What size flies are you using and on what weight fly line?
I wouldn't let you in the boat on Uist fishing 6lb Fulling Mill flouro with size 10 flies on a six weight but size 14's on a four weight up a small stream might be a different matter.

Andy

I use a 10 foot #7 on the lochs . flies are anything from size 10 to 14 . ive had browns 4lb + and the occasional rainbow to over 10lb+ with fulling mill 6lb . like i said each to  there own . p.s if thats your rules theres a good chance a wouldnt sit in one of your boats .

Squigster

I've had a couple of spools of Flouro go off on me, and one of them was 6lb Fulling Mill. Uist, nothing but 6lb Maxima for Trout and 8lb for sea trout 

Suki1312

Quote from: Squigster on February 23, 2018, 05:08:00 PM
I've had a couple of spools of Flouro go off on me, and one of them was 6lb Fulling Mill. Uist, nothing but 6lb Maxima for Trout and 8lb for sea trout

Can you explain " Go off on me "

Squigster

When you draw good line through your fingers it feels nice and smooth, when a spool has gone off the line will feel very rough and will snap like tying thread regardless of it's original strength.  It was definitely good when purchased and It wouldn't have been hugely old

Laxdale

It happened again yesterday.
5lb grilse hooked as I battled the gale force wind. Ex international Englander angler playing the fish carefully. All going well until the 12.8lb bs (bs all right) fluorocarbon pinged for no good reason.
"Never happened to me before", said he. "That stuff is pure shite, as I told you many times already", said I. That is two fish swimming around the loch with flies stuck in them this last two weeks. Both would have been in the boat had 12 lb bs Maxima been used.

Rant over and, yes, I do feel better now.

Go To Front Page