News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Flies for the season end.

Started by bibio1, August 30, 2014, 02:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bibio1

Going on a few trips up north in the coming weeks. Just thinking about what flies work. The main hatches have gone and the troots are beginning to look at other things.

So what would you recommend other than silver daddies which have been deadly for me.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Roobarb on August 30, 2014, 05:34:21 PM
I don't know about the mainland but there are huge numbers of heather flies about out here just now.

Loads of olives here right now too, even today there were fish rising in the high water.

Highlander

Daddies for me would be a logical choice for end of season if you are on waters that these insects get on to in any great numbers
Bait imitations too do  well on occasion. September Trouting can be at times be good especially on lowland waters, darker flies  will come into their own as the lighter coloured summer patterns peter out.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

rannoch raider

I know one or two capable rods who swear by flies with a good splash of red in them for September.  The soldier palmer and bloody Alexandria are two for Loch Leven (or they were a lot of years ago!) Probably a red blob or something these days! 

garryh

"silver daddies" do you fish these wet Paul? what size are they it's something i've thought about .might give it a try ,im heading north myself next month for 2 or 3 days.(Tongue)

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

bibio1

yip wet silver or as andy said pearly.  all sizes with long legs.

Go To Front Page