News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fladen Vantage 8' #4 Fly Rod

Started by Wildfisher, May 06, 2010, 08:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I?m thinking about buying 2 x Fladen Vantage 8 foot #4 for my sons to use when  burn fishing on our Corriekinloch trip in July.  These rods get a great press and some members here are amazed by them and how well they cast.

They seem to be fantastic value, especially when compared to some  overpriced badge engineered alternatives. At around ?25 or so how could you go wrong?

What is the general opinion of this model and can anyone recommend  a good supplier?

paulr

Hi Fred,

I don't have much of a clue about rods and casting but I've been using one of these on the rivers and sometimes lochs since the end of last year and love it.
This is the cheapest I've found them:

http://www.marinemegastore.com/category-category-FSHEOD004.htm

You can't really argue with them at that price.

Cheers
Paul

dazdidge

I have the 9ft #5 and although it has taken me a little while to get used to I have to say that for the price it is superb. My main rods before were Greys grxi at 5 times the price and in my opinion the Fladen is much better. From what I have read on here and other places the model you are going for seems to be the pick of the bunch and even better if the tip section is changed to a weight below. On a recent meet with Ardbeg and Bandy they both had a shot and both liked it. I got mine from tackle bargains:
http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/Fladen-Vantage-travel-fly-rods---Ex-Display-Rods.html
They are ex-display but mine arrived without a mark on it and within two days of ordering. Really can't fault it so far and if one of your sons manages to break one, fair enough it's still money, but it hasn't broke the bank.

cheers
darren

scotty9

Fred it's great for the money, preference at casting club seems to be the 8' #4 with a #5 line on.

One small issue, the eejits at fladen decided to varnish the ferrule so don't be alarmed if you cast the tip off :lol: Also I know you have a fancy sage so prepare for a shock when you see the protective case  :lol: Other than that, go for it, absolutely!

haresear

Another vote from me for the 8' #4 with a #5 line. Cheap and nasty fittings, but it works.

Alex
Protect the edge.

paulr

Quote from: scotty9 on May 06, 2010, 11:08:47 PM

One small issue, the eejits at fladen decided to varnish the ferrule so don't be alarmed if you cast the tip off :lol:

Happens to me at least once every session, usually when I'm casting towards a spooky fish!

scotty9

Aye paul it's a nightmare! A girl at the casting club got one to learn with, the look on her face the first time it happened was priceless.

dazdidge

"One small issue, the eejits at fladen decided to varnish the ferrule so don't be alarmed if you cast the tip off "

I had forgot about that already, happened to me earlier on this evening and last friday, but for ?25 I can live with it unless somebody here knows a quick fix?

Darren

scotty9

Quote from: daz on May 06, 2010, 11:23:50 PM
"One small issue, the eejits at fladen decided to varnish the ferrule so don't be alarmed if you cast the tip off "

I had forgot about that already, happened to me earlier on this evening and last friday, but for ?25 I can live with it unless somebody here knows a quick fix?

Darren

Rub a candle on the male ferrule a wee bit, not too much. Will help it stick better.

Other option is to give it a rub with the finest grade abrasive you can find, just enough to get rid of the varnish but DON'T leave any particles, if you stick the rod together with any loose particles i'd imagine it's a recipe for a breakage.

paulr

Yeah I tried the candle trick-obviously time I did it again!
cheers
Paul

Go To Front Page