News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Gaiters

Started by caorach, October 22, 2017, 10:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caorach

In the distant past I didn't used to bother with gaiters but more recently I've found that when wearing them I tend to get very few ticks and so for that reason alone they seem worthwhile. However getting a good pair isn't so easy as a lot of the big "outdoor" names produce gaiters which are not great. Recently I had an emergency gaiter failure situation and had to buy a pair by one of the big names and they are completely useless.

In the past gaiters made by a company called Kammo were very well thought of and recently a small UK company have started making ones which are quite similar in design. Yesterday I took delivery of a pair and so far I've been impressed. As with anything of this nature it takes a year before you can offer a useful review but if you are looking for a pair then at the very least it is worth being aware of these:

http://www.monarchcountryproducts.co.uk/monarch-munro-gaiters

As with all the zip ones they can be a bit of a fiddle to put on and being waterproof is not always an advantage so you need to see how your priorities stack up but apart from that there is a lot to like about them.

Fishtales

I prefer my Yeti gaiters.

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/berghaus-yeti-attak-gaiter-B9114062.html

I still have the first pair I bought thirty years ago and another pair, bigger size to fit the boot, I bought fifteen years ago. The sole strap has gone on both, a common thing, but a bit of contact adhesive around the rand at the toe keeps it on :) They stay on my boot all year only coming off at the start of the season to clean and re proof the leather with Sno Seal.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Atsko-Unisex-Leather-Seal-Multicoloured/dp/B00CQJDQ90/ref=cts_sp_2_vtp?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=1212178027&pf_rd_r=a496d3a8-b7b9-11e7-80c7-e1f45108533e&pd_rd_wg=SbOaK&pf_rd_s=desktop-detail-softlines&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_i=B00CQJDQ90&pd_rd_w=4orLZ&pf_rd_i=desktop-detail-softlines&pd_rd_r=a496d3a8-b7b9-11e7-80c7-e1f45108533e&_encoding=UTF8
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Bobfly

I have three pairs of gaiters. Two are Karrimor and one a VERY old pair of canvas ones from Graham Tiso (whilst he was still alive!). Two have an understrap using spare crampon strap material and that lasts for a very long time! One pair have the double eyelet for stringing a thick lace through ... so I always carried a length of spare thick lace in the sack because they easily cut on rocky ground. The old Tiso ones have been up every Munro and many of them many more times than once. Two pairs have rear zips and one has the zip at the front with a velcro overlap. I prefer the rear zip style because that then puts the drawstring to the rear, but it makes little odds. All cost £20 tops per pair. Cordura seems the best material for robust hard wearing. Same as used on rucksacks and clothing wearing point areas.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

Quote from: Element on October 23, 2017, 08:03:46 PM
When hiking on any ground up to a hill loch, for me, gaiters are a must have, because I stopped getting 3/4 of the ticks I used to pick up without them. Can't remember what brand they are - but the point is - always wear them! Yes they can make the calves/shins sweat on a hot day - but what do you prefer - the slight discomfort or the chance of a dose of Lyme disease...? No brainer!

Exactly my view. I always wear gaiters. Also means you can quickly wade across shallow streams without ending up with a boot full of water.

caorach

Quote from: claretbumble on October 24, 2017, 10:09:49 AM
Other side of the coin - never owned a pair in my life!  :shock:

I was the same for many, many years of walking and fishing. In saying that until 2 years ago I didn't own a pair of waders and I only wear the waders for one particular bit of estuary fishing so I always fish in walking boots whereas a lot of people fish in waders. However the reduction in the number of ticks I pick up was what really converted me to the gaiters as the truth is I could easily survive without them. It is hard to quantify the reduction in ticks as there are good and bad years etc. but I'd say I've gone from 50 - 100 per year down to 5 - 10 per year as a sort of average figure.

Bobfly

You can't go on the hills in Winter without gaiters to keep the snow out
You can't go on the hills in Spring without gaiters to keep the mud out   
You can't go on the hills in Summer without gaiters to keep the ticks out
You can't go on the hills in Autumn without gaiters to keep the mud out
Simples !!!!
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

burnie

My gaiters are Tog24, looking on their web site, seems they no longer sell them, pity need a new pair.

caorach

Quote from: burnie on October 24, 2017, 08:46:49 PM
My gaiters are Tog24, looking on their web site, seems they no longer sell them, pity need a new pair.

Yes, that was the start of my problem - I'd had a pair for year and years and years and needed a replacement because they died and...

So a bought a pair from a big name outdoor type operation and they are no good at all. So, now I've bought another pair and they are actually pretty good so far based on 2 days out.

ant0

I've been happy with these other than breaking the zipper line in one place which was entirely my own fault but still zip up fine and are very comfy and less bulky/baggy then some other gaiters. Quite reasonable too at about £25-30 if I remember right.

[attachimg=1]

Highlander

" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page