News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Allcock Brass Salmon Reel

Started by Pearly Invicta, August 10, 2009, 02:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pearly Invicta

This old reel belonged to the father of my late Aunt Allison. I inherited a few bits and pieces.
It's stamped 'Allcocks of Redditch, England' and is brass and aluminium.
He was (by all accounts) an expert salmon angler.
Decided to strip it down and give it a general clean-up, regrease and polish. It's been kicking around my tackle boxes in the garage for years and years.

Whilst stripping off the old silk line and about 300 yards of braided backing, I wondered how many times the line was stripped off in anger by a salmon...? A great many I think.

The reel was probably expensive when new. He only seemed to use very good kit.

That reel contains many stories. In memory of that great angler and of my aunt, I'm putting it up on my bookcase. Beside the fishing books.

superscot

very nice indeed ...would be worth tracking down what it cost when brand new and just what you could sell for now .....not that I would ......sentimental value makes you keep hold things like that

cheers

Pearly Invicta

I did some research on line but couldn't find out much. Not even a date for it.

Highlander

One thing you do not do is "polish" old brass reels. Still you are not selling it so makes no difference but if it was indeed for sale polish is a no no,
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

alancrob

If selling as an antique natural condition is always preferred.

This looks a bit like yours

http://www.flyfishingantiques.com/Products/Reels/Other/XXX.aspx

Alan

Pearly Invicta

Yes, that looks like the same one. ?140! I only polished it because I was keeping it.

Fishtales

By polishing it you will have devalued it as a collectors item. You would be lucky to get fifty pounds for it now if you or your descendents decided to sell it.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Pearly Invicta

Aye, but I polished it because I like the look of it polished. And as I'll never sell it and, as I'll be deid afore any bugger else does, I couldnae give a fiddlers fart!

Inchlaggan

Quote from: fishtales on November 18, 2010, 01:42:01 PM
By polishing it you will have devalued it as a collectors item. You would be lucky to get fifty pounds for it now if you or your descendents decided to sell it.
You are correct, but I have always found this strange.
My Grandfather was an engineer and fisherman. He kept all of his rods and reels in perfect "engineering" condition. Each reel would be stripped down, cleaned, polished, oiled and properly wrapped and stored at the end of each season or after a particularly onerous trip.
I own them now, and keep them in the same condition. They are not "mint" condition, they show use, but they operate and look pretty much as they did when they came out of the box some 90 years ago. They will pass to my nephews, each of whom (21 and 16) have fished with them and been instructed in the proper care.
I own my Grandfather's lathe and many of his tools, all kept as he kept them, sharp, boxed, oiled and wrapped as required- almost as good as new. If I wished to expand my collection I would pay to obtain kit in similar condition. Why should I pay a premium for the patina of careless ownership and add the price of restoration. Your correct observation applies to much fishing tackle, but not to paintings of angling. "It's a funny old world", as Grandad often said.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Go To Front Page