News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

11' 6" to 12' AFTM 5 loch style rod ?

Started by rannoch raider, May 20, 2016, 02:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rannoch raider

When I was young and skint I had a Shakespeare Oberon 12ft 5 weight rod. It cost very little and to be honest, overall, it wasn't very well constructed. The blank only went about 2 inches into the handle and as a result it didn't last long with the leverage causing the blank to break through the cork handle. Having said that, when it was new and still solid the blank itself was a lovely thing to fish with. I had some great catches on this rod and I reckon the 12 ft length and soft 'ish' middle to tip 5 weight construction allowed fish to turn on the fly and resulted in lots of hook ups that I would not have had on a stiffer, heavier rod.
I now fish most places with a 10 ft AFTM 6 weight rod and while I find that to be pretty good for targeting bigger fish, I do yearn for a 12 footer 5 weight with a more forgiving action for short line loch styling.
Does anyone know of such a rod or very similar rod on the current market ?

Wildfisher

Can you still get the 11 foot 6 Daiwa Whisker?

Joakim

One of my loch rods is a green B&W Hexagraph 11'6" #4-6. I use a DT5 or 6 on it.
It is very slow indeed, but does the job well.
The one I use most is a Daiwa Whisker 11'3" #5-7, it's surprisingly light, you can fish it all day without any problem. I find it great to cast with too, even use it for bank fishing, a DT6 is perfect on it.

rannoch raider

Thanks Joakim, I've also spotted a Bruce and Walker Powerlite at 11' 3" that's a five weight. Unfortunately its around £600.

Joakim

Quote from: rannoch raider on May 28, 2016, 01:40:06 PM
Thanks Joakim, I've also spotted a Bruce and Walker Powerlite at 11' 3" that's a five weight. Unfortunately its around £600.

I can whole-heartedly recommend the Daiwas I mentioned, they usually go for under £100 on ebay.
They're well made and durable too.

caorach

I like an 11 foot 7 weight as that covers me for everything but even they are starting to be come a rare thing. I have a Leeda Dragonfly that I got many, many years ago and I live in fear of breaking it, I think it is rated 5 - 7 but I've only ever had a 7 weight line on it. I'd guess it is a pretty soft rod and it makes a great loch rod for trout, especially in the wind, plus covers all the salmon and sea trout I'm interested in.

I do have an 11 foot 6 weight rod built on a Sage blank and it is a lovely rod but it just doesn't feel as good to fish with as the Leeda.

I also find it hard to believe the prices they are asking for modern rods, especially when many of them seem to be uncomfortable to fish with and largely unsuited to any fishing I'm ever going to do. There seems to be a drive to sell everyone a new rod, with new features, every year. My experience is that the "features" take you further and further away from a fishing rod and closer to a device for casting under ideal conditions.

Billy

I have a greys 11' 7# which I bought for boat use when I am a bit older and walking the hills a bit too much.

I use a Wychwood river and stream 11' 3# for most of my trout fishing and have had sea trout on it. I liked the rod so much I bought a 10' 5# version but have not really given it a real test yet.
One of the young guys in the work had a cast with the 11' 3# and went out right away and bought one.

Billy

Bobfly

I have an Enigma 11' ,three-piece, 5/6wt which is a great rod for boat use. I have had it for almost 20 years so I very much doubt it is still made, but maybe worth finding out.
If anyone is interested in the notion, I also have a modification of one of the old Diawa 11' 3", 3piece, 5-7wt rods at the handle of which I made a short bottom extension of 6" so it is now a rod of 11"9". That then made a nice rolling action long boat rod. The extension was made from a broken rod butt I came on in a litter bin but it fitted into the Diawa butt spot on!! There was quite a detailed post about it in late August 2012 under DIY Gear.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page