News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Dry daddies, an easier way??

Started by Lochan_load, December 21, 2014, 10:43:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

Tied this up this morning partly because I was trying to think of a way to use klinkhammer extreme hooks that are gathering dust in my box but also because id like a few daddies in my box. This took an hour of fiddling about and still isn't perfect so the question is.......is there any easy dry daddy patterns? Answers on a postcard ( or this thread!)

[attachimg=1]

bibio1

I use chenille with the tip burnt and sometimes foam. Good idea with the legs I like mine to straggle.

Wildfisher

Nice looking fly.  :D

If you are looking for ease, forget the knee joints in the legs that's just "fly tying stuff". Use fine flexifloss, it's easier, more mobile  and more robust. I'd also use foam  for the body, again it's easier, more buoyant and more robust. A few fish and that deer hair body will be shredded.

Lochan_load

Id keep the knotted boar because they are stiff enough to sit at angles and stay there, I think a foam body would be a good addition but I think the main problem is tying around the parachute hackle 'model'. Restricts what you can do and I can't see the benefit of it, on this fly the hackle would barely add any buoyancy at all. Looks fancy but I think this is what you refer to as 'fly tying stuff' Fred. Honestly think this fly would work better and be a lot easier to tie on a normal hook with a normal hackle.......anyone want some over expensive fancy hooks???

rannoch raider

Foam, micro chenille and light pheasant tail wound on the shank as with the PTN for me. I usually use pheasant tail for the legs although I have used dark coloured supple nylons and flexi floss in the past.  The only thing that I would be concerned about with the stiffer Boar hair is that it might be too stiff and actually work like a 'hook guard' if you know what I mean. I suppose it would depend on hook size, pattern size and position of the fibres but the legs have got to fold to some extent when the fish takes otherwise it just pushes the fly along the water outside the jaws?

SoldierPmr

I wouldn't bother with the parachute and just use more deer hair (sort of like a DHE) take about 10 minutes to tie.
[attachimg=1][attachimg=1]
Sorry for quality

Lochan_load

Yeah I was thinking the same thing about deer hair instead of hackle maybe even do it muddler style
Like this but more like a dry (head needs trimmed!)

[attachimg=1]

I know what what you mean with the boat hair rannoch but you can keep it out the road of the hook gape, might cause an issue but never had any when I've used it on hopper type patterns and it's hard as nails

Go To Front Page