News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

I could not resist

Started by alancrob, June 28, 2015, 07:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alancrob

The good lady and I are heading to deepest Englandshire for about 10 days, Bristol, Bath and possibly beyond.  We were looking for somewhere to spend Saturday night on the way down and I was struggling to find anywhere that looked nice and did not cost the proverbial limbs.

Then I found one and had to book.  The Izaac Walton Hotel on the banks of the river Dove, with day tickets available to guests.

I am sure the clear limestone water will be beyond my ability level but I convinced my lovely wife that it was a nice area to explore and the restaurant looked very good.

I have since found that I can buy a rod licence for a day at £3.75 or a week for £10 which will not break the bank. The day ticket is £40 but it is a one-off. A top golf course would charge anything over £150 at this time of year.

Any suggestions which flies to pack?

A.

burnie

I used to live near there about 20 years ago, never fished that particular beat though. Pretty sure most of those beats are dry fly only, so match the hatch or my old favourites were a wingless Wickhams Fancy or a Grey Duster, there's some good Grayling in the river on some of the beats. Fish fine and far off, a tippet of at least 12 feet long used to do the trick.
Googled this................
http://www.orvis.com/fishing_report.aspx?locationid=7403

Go To Front Page