News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Enterpreting trout behaviour in the river question ?

Started by sinbad, September 08, 2014, 06:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinbad

Along a 200m stretch of a local river i spotted two dozen trout from about 3/4lbs  to some over 3lbs. What I'm wondering is if there is a way from their behaviour to tell browns from sea trout ? They were in three main lies with the odd fish on its own. What should i be looking for to guess brown or sea trout.   Cheers Sb. 

Wildfisher

I would agree, a shoal is likely to be sea trout, especially  bigger fish. Big browns are very solitary, territorial and protect the best feeding stations which is not a concern for sea trout which are not great freshwater feeders.

sinbad

There was about ten in a run about 5m long, four round a tree stump and the rest in 1s and 2s. None of the water was more than 2ft or 3ft deep. There was hardly any rises in half hour i was watching.
Interestingly they did nt spook easily, at one point a swan was head down feeding within six feet of the group at the stump they did nt look bothered.
Being mostly a loch guy i was nt sure but suspected sea trout, more so now Ive read Andy and Freds posts and i like your solution of go catch one and see.
Cheers Ian

Noddy

sinbad

The group of ten were in broken water and i could nt see well enough to be sure but the fish round the stump including a couple of the bigger ones were definitely trout.
I'll PM you the location being from this area maybe you'll have an idea whats in there.  Cheers Ian

Go To Front Page