News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Sight Fishing

Started by haresear, April 22, 2014, 05:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keithfish

Using this method can you claim the blanks off on spotting the fish, or do you still have to catch it  :D

haresear

Quote from: Ythanjoe on April 22, 2014, 10:47:21 PM
Must take a long whkle to get the confidence the spotted fish will take a sunk fly but  worth a try...

Not really Joe, you get to watch the reaction of the fish to each fly and just take it from there. If I have a dry on, I'll usually give that a try first, as I find that trout will tolerate the dry where a nymph might spook them or the nymph might hang up on the bottom.

If the fish is swinging about feeding, at river bed level, then chances are it will take a nymph. If it occasionally rises up high in the water, then it might take a dry.
If it refuses the dry, I may hang a light nymph off the bend or snip the dry off and go for a straight nymph or more usually, half hitch a tiny piece of yarn on as an indicator. In light nymphing, the indicator isn't a "float" - it shows where the nymph is in relation to the fish and you can watch it for the effects of drag and adjust your next cast accordingly.

Quote from: keithfish on April 22, 2014, 11:01:20 PM
Using this method can you claim the blanks off on spotting the fish, or do you still have to catch it  :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: You don't get off that lightly.

Alex

Protect the edge.

Midgie Hater

Quote from: admin on April 22, 2014, 09:47:43 PM
Don't go out with him. You'll never get to the pub.   :lol:

If Alex ever privileges me with such an offer i'll remember to take the pub with me ;)

Interesting you mention the "yarn" method there. I've only ever read about it, and then only in a couple of American books. Seems much more subtle than a big bulky indicator which (same for a dry used NZ-style perhaps and the method i've used in the past - with limited success  :? ) in difficult currents creates that fish-spooking drag you're trying to avoid.

Allan Crawford

Interesting stuff thanks for sharing.

haresear

Quote from: Alan on April 23, 2014, 12:11:40 AM
Phone call to casting club........

Alex: not going to make it, i went fishing.

Me: did you catch anything?

Alex: Aye 3.....only made 3 casts.

9 pun of trout in 3 casts :shock:

:lol: :lol: Told you it is worth a go - sometimes and in some places.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page