News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

rod wrappers

Started by bibio1, February 16, 2014, 06:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bibio1

Are these really needed. I am.doing my first build but question whether I really need one. If the more experienced rod builders could give us their opinions that would be great.

garryh

Not essential but handy for wrapping thread.more than useful for applying epoxy.I knocked together a sevicable wrapper at work.I only bought a rotary fly drier and a thread tensioner cheap of eBay.
garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

bibio1

Cheers guys. I was lookin to buy one but will knock one up out of oak flooring.

Multiplier reel is a good tip

bushy palmer

Paul- I just wrap by hand using a couple of knocked-up stands to support (you can just about see one of the supports in the bottom left here). Also in the photo is the turner I made using a light switch and a motor from an old microwave- it turns the blank at around 8rpm which is perfect for drying the wraps.
[attachimg=1]

Wildfisher

Does the bottle of Stella play an important role?  :lol:

bushy palmer

Yup!- makes the finished wraps look good! :D

bibio1

Thanks... I have a Turner. I think that I'll make a wrapper instead of buying one.

bibio1

After applying epoxy to the wraps how long do you have to wait till you can use the rod.

bibio1

A home made rod wrapper

bushy palmer

That's all you'll need Paul- looks the part. Must get my finger out as I broke one of my favourite rods last year and need to wrap the replacement tip section.

Quote from: bibio1 on March 11, 2014, 08:17:04 PM
After applying epoxy to the wraps how long do you have to wait till you can use the rod.

I use the high build stuff (I think it's from a company called rod dancer or something similar). With this stuff I use two coats- left on the dryer overnight you can use the rod the very next day.

Go To Front Page