News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

DIY tippet retainer

Started by corsican dave, June 15, 2016, 09:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

you'll need a 6" length of flat elastic, a plastic bead of an appropriate size (both from your local craft shop)and a piece of shrink-wrap tubing (local car parts shop). enough of each to make you a lifetime's supply will cost you less than a couple of quid
[attachimg=1]

stick the ends of the elastic to the bead with super-glue
[attachimg=2]

leave it to dry while you make up a few more. then cut a piece of shrink-wrap, slide it over the end (easier if you slide it up the elastic towards the stuck bit  :wink:) and shrink it with a blast from the wife's hair dryer. or a lighter.
[attachimg=3]

hey presto!   :8)
[attachimg=4]
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

rannoch raider

That's a great idea Dave! I like it !

Wildfisher

JimJams

Made a few of these last year but instead of a head I cut up a biro pen, they work well!

Otter Spotter

Check you with your home engineering and super expensive leader :)

Top tip though, impressed!!
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

corsican dave

Quote from: claretbumble on June 16, 2016, 05:33:45 PM
Blue Peter badge for you, my friend!
that'll be my third one, then.... :wink:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Billy

Dave,

I just saw this and did much the same as my rubber bands have been giving up the ghost recently.

I used the same elastic material but bought a small riveting kit from hobbycraft. It cost about a fiver for 50 rivets.
I riveted the ends together and marked the elastic with the breaking strain so it could be seen easily.
You just need to make sure that you have the smooth side of the rivet to the inside so that it does not rub on the nylon.

It makes it so easy to pull nylon from the spool and it doesn't uncoil from the spool when your not looking.

Billy

corsican dave

cheers Billy :D
I went a stage further and used a coloured marker to dye the elastic and colour code it. I basically use three breaking strains: 4lb, 7lb & 12lb, so it wasn't difficult; yellow, green, red. I wrote the breaking strain on with a fine point sharpie. worked a treat!  :D eat your heart out Rio... :8)

corsican dave

here you go:
[attachimg=1]

Billy

My rivetted efforts look like your spool on the right.

Good idea to colour them right enough.

Billy

Go To Front Page