News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

River fishing and camping

Started by mark mcnaught, April 11, 2018, 03:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark mcnaught

Im looking to plan a weekend fishing trip in July in England and ideally would like to wild camp near a river ... I know it's a long shot but does anyone have any locations they would share with me  ?  :biker

Bobfly

Yorkshire Dales or Lake District  ???  Swaledale has some spots from Grinton upwards such as nearby to Gunnerside, or up Arkengarthdale.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Billy

Tees valley.

The river gets good reports but not sure about campsites.

Billy

caorach

Notice you are talking about England so can't help down there, why not head for the wild west instead? We aren't stuck for opportunities:

SoldierPmr

Apart from the Eden and a couple of other rivers in Cumbria and the Lakes most are migratory rivers. The trout fishing isn't brilliant in them. Saying this the Western lakes them selves have some good trout fishing. Ennerdale Crummock Buttermere etc.

Hope this helps a little.

mark mcnaught

Thanks for your suggestions ... bit of research now !

mark mcnaught

Quote from: Element on April 11, 2018, 08:30:24 PM
When you fish abroad... you have to go by the local country rules and regulations and ...  :lol:
:roflmao ... you need to buy a rod licence... before you can even think of buying a permit to fish their rivers and lakes... past that, I know up here we can literally wild camp anywhere but I'm not sure if it is the same in Englandshire...

E.
Where were you in these pictures ..looks fantastic !

burnie

What species are you hoping to catch Mark? I wouldn't be going south for Wild Trout to be honest, the decent waters are horrendously expensive.

caorach

Quote from: Element on April 16, 2018, 10:13:25 PM
I think you meant to quote Caorach.. I think his pictures were taken in the Western Isles...

Sorry, missed that, yes Mark the photos were all taken on the Isle of Lewis in the Hebrides as that is where I would tend to fish as it offers all the real, wild, fishing a person can cope with. I work in Ireland but travel all the way out there to fish.

One thing that might be worth a mention, and it applies to a few other areas as well, is that most of the Lewis trout fishing is free so although there is a bit more expense and travel time in getting there once you are on the island you can pack your tent and simply walk to lochs as it pleases you. Once you get out the moor a bit then the chances are you are fishing lochs that rarely, if ever, see an angler and for me that is part of the appeal. After nearly 30 years of fishing out there I've only twice met someone else on a loch away from the road, once a mink trapper and once another angler on a loch that had a very good reputation. Even the "good" lochs are often sufficiently remote to get very little attention, one that I'd like to camp at this season has, in as far as we can establish from good local sources, had me fish it twice and one other angler go out last September and that is the total visits in 3 years. There are also lots of good lochs relatively close to the road and to be honest the photos I posted all show lochs within a mile of where I parked the car.

I appreciate that it isn't just the cost but often the time that is the big problem and I'm very lucky in that respect in the sense that I work just enough to keep myself alive so I plan on being on Lewis for 13 weeks this season starting this coming Saturday :-) If you plan on heading for Lewis and want some suggestions then let me know and I will see what I can come up with. I always tell people that the problem on Lewis isn't getting fishing, it is deciding where to fish next. Have a few more photos to get you interested :-)

Go To Front Page