News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

A Balanced Outfit

Started by east wind, April 15, 2018, 02:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

east wind

I've never given much thought to fishing gear other than like or don't like, not giving any time as to why.
I bought a rod about five years ago I liked a lot. I paired it with a reel from an ex member bought on spec at the river bank. Quite a large reel and we got on fine. Over the years I dabbled in lighter rods and smaller reels simply because the reels "looked" better, more compact and my large reel was put to the side.

Anyway around this time my much liked rod fell out of favour, felt heavy and unresponsive reasons unknown. This year I took a punt on a reel on ebay cause it came with a spare spool. Fcuk me, when I opening it up it was larger than my large reel, with a wider huge arbour. On it went anyway with my old previously much liked rod and it seems we are back in love. Light and crisp.

I looked into the issue that seems to bring heated debate, the balanced outfit and checked my current setup. It gave a near perfect balance when held. This got me digging out other setups I use and I've found, by chance, the best rod & reel combo I enjoy are also pretty near balanced. I've never taken any of this seriously before, arguments range from rods cast better with a reel in your pocket to balanced is unbalanced when line is out etc but there you go.

Casting can be a issue for me so is this all in my head? bearing in mind I don't deep think my fishing gear.

Anyone got an opinion one way or another?

Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

burnie

I have in the past taken a similar approach to you, I bought an Abu reel because I like their stuff, got a second hand rod from the guy who used to have the taxidermist shop at Balinluig, as the price was right. However having said that, when I retired I treated myself to a Hardy rod and reel combo that was on offer at the House of Bruar and I have to say it keeps catching whumpers, so maybe there's something in this balance malarkey.

Robbie

I also have never really considered balance when purchasing gear. Having thought about it this may be down more to lack of opportunity rather killing of any interest.

It does make sense that the balance will alter / effect the feel of an out fit.

Don't think SWMBO will accept this reason for purchasing a new reel or two....

Bobfly

I still play a lot of racquet sports and balance is critical to the feel and play even though the badminton ones are only 85 gms of carbon fibre. Changes to the balance and flex make a big difference. I fiddle about with rods and reel combos quite a lot and have a list of what matches feel best for me. Some tools feel "right" and others don't.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

sagecirca

Interesting thread.

I have 3 dry fly rod and reel set-ups that prescribe to the light is best theory.  I have 2x Sage Circas with matching Lamson ULA Purists and a ZXL with coupled with a slightly larger Purist.  These set-ups are very light and are a pleasure to cast with all day.  Even when nymphing with a long rod I don't have heavier reels to try and 'balance' the rod as, for me, isn't really an issue.  My gear for boat fishing is the opposite.  A long rod coupled with a heavy reel (Hardy CLS 5000) which is explained by the fact it's quite hard to get a reel that is both lightweight and their spare spoils don't cost a small fortune!

Light is best IMO but that's purely down to what I like. 

Go To Front Page