News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Green Tailed Kate

Started by mattheweastham, April 27, 2015, 12:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattheweastham

What is the forum's opinion of the green-tailed Kate? I see this variation in boxes nearly as often now as the original - what do you think are its merits? Do you rate it above the original and if so in which applications - highland, lowland, both or neither?

M

Wildfisher

About 10 years ago it was the must have fly. It works, but whether it's any better or not who knows. If everyone uses a fly it will catch a lot of fish! It's a self fulfilling prophesy.  :lol:   Any fly with a hot spot like a green tail will be easy for the fish to see.

Billy

I have had a few fish over the years on it but I don't think I got me one fish last season.

It caught me a lot in 2013 especially one day at Dundonnel when I had a two fly cast with one green-arsed and one traditional. The green arsed took most of the fish.

Billy

mattheweastham

Do you think it's more of rainbow trout thing? Have to admit personally, I've always - rightly or wrongly - associated bright green and chartreuse with rainbows and tend to stick to more subdued stuff, or red/bloody spectrum tags, for my upland brownie flies. Green just doesn't 'feel right' for me on a hill Tarn.
M

mattheweastham

Quote from: Roobarb on April 27, 2015, 05:03:40 PM
Matthew like you I tend to think of bright green and rainbows but there is no doubt that almost all of this is in our heads.
Last year I was asked one morning what flies to use and I had this lime green bumble in the box that didn't look like it stood a chance. I offered it to both rods, one laughed and the other took one. You can guess the rest. At the end of the day only this bright lime green bumble had caught fish and not just one or two but a good bag.

I really should tie up some more!

Andy

Cheers Andy, yes a self fulfilling thing eh? I don't catch many browns on green tailed/tagged flies because I never fish one! I'll be giving it a go this summer, but I admit I have the confidence hurdle to overcome first!
M

bibio1

This is a generalisation but I have really gone down in size for my traditionals. In small sizes 14.-18 I have done very well with this Especially in mucky conditions.

Having said that the original in small sizes is unbeatable In my view and hands down in a settled wave.

SoldierPmr

Usually try a kate in my cast and have never caught a brownie had a take once but that's it  :? Did catch a big fat stockie rainbow on a kate dabbler though :lol:

Clan Chief

The Kate is my favourite and most successful pattern,probably because I use it more than any other pattern. Ive used the green tailed variation in the past but cant say for sure if its any better than the original.
I think it was John Gierach who once said "If you fish the wrong fly long enough, it will sooner or later become the right fly"

Highlander

I have a few variations in my boxes including this one. Can not say it is any better than the original. Some years ago it was all the rage to tweek flies. Sometime it works & other times not.

If you use it enough it will eventually take a fish or two.

I remember when The Ally Shrimp first appeared on the scene & soon everyone & their Granny was using them. Way I look at it if 80% of anglers use the same fly it goes to show that most of the Salmon will be caught on that pattern. If you are confident in a pattern then by all means carry on fishing it. Now a day we are only limited by our own imagination & pattern types are basically limitless.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page