News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Curved hook (emerger) cdc flexi -olive sbs

Started by col, April 10, 2009, 07:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

col

Thought I'd have a go at an sbs. A simple pattern but it shows how to keep the body slim using flexi- floss.
Hook:B100
Thread :GSP (white)
abdomen :olive flexi-floss (spanflex)
wing :2- 3 plumes of CDC
thorax :olive slf

Step 1. select a hook , here Ive used a size 14 B100.
[attachimg=1]

Step 2. Tye in the flexi floss at the thorax region.
[attachimg=2]

Step 3.Under tension bind down the  flexi- floss with the thread  down to the bend of the hook.
[attachimg=3]
[attachimg=4]

Step 4. Return the thread to the thorax area and wind the flexi- floss undertension back to the thorax area.

[attachimg=5]

Step 5. Remove waste end and put in a whip finish to secure the flexi- floss  body.
[attachimg=6]

Step 6.Tye in a CDC wing (2 or 3 feathers depending on size of hook)
[attachimg=7]

Step 7. Remove the waste end of the CDC and dub the thread (Ive used an olive slf)
[attachimg=8]

Step 8.Put the first dubbed turn behind the wing to make the wing stand slightly upright.
[attachimg=9]

Step 9. Dub the rest of the thorax and whip finish, the fly is now complete.
[attachimg=10]

Cheers Col

Wildfisher

Good stuff Col, that clearly shows how to get the slim body

doogs

Great stuff that flexi floss, makes a good job of the ribbed effect on bodies - nice flee.

garryh

ive been studying the one i got from you today and couldnt figure how you got the body so slim.thanks for that i just wish i had seen it before i had about six goes at it and failed.splitting it would seem the way to go with the stuff i have at the moment.

cheers Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

scotfly

Excellent sbs Col, good clear pics and text.  :8)

haresear

Nice SBS Col and a very effective fly (aerodynamic too).

For you flexifloss virgins, it will slim down as you stretch it and it takes a lot of pressure to break the stuff, so you can play around with it to your hearts content. Relax the tension and it goes fat, increase the tension and it gets skinny.

Alex
Protect the edge.

thewaterbouys

Ian_M

Hopefully still on topic.
I have never used CDC, but inspired by this sbs, I had a look at Cookshill and I've got a question.
They sell feathers from wild birds which are grey, from domestic which are white and from unspecified birds which are khaki. Now which do I choose?  :roll:
Ian

Go To Front Page