News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Snowshoe quill Polly SbS

Started by col, April 12, 2009, 03:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

col

This ones been doing the business recently! It's a slight  variation of Clan Ford and Deergravy's  "Dirty Polly" .

This is the materials Ive used though you could alter colours/sizes to suit hatches etc.

Hook: B100 #14
Thread :uni 8/0
Abdomen : hackle quill (redgame)
wing:snowshoe hare
Thorax :lightly dubbed hares ear
hackle:medium dun (whiting).

1.First select a long hackle from the top of a cock  cape (Chinese or Indian should suffice) .

[attachimg=1]

2.Prepare the quill by removing all the barbs. and fix hook in the  vice and prepare thread ready to tie it in.
[attachimg=2]

3.Tie in  the stripped quill in by the fine end down to the hook bend and return the thread to the thorax area.
[attachimg=3]

4. Wind the quill in touching turns up to the thorax.
[attachimg=4]

5. secure the quill with some thread wraps then trim waste end of the quill . Varnish the quill body (two coats).
[attachimg=5]

6.Add a generous am mount of snow shoe for the wing. Make sure the underfur is removed.
[attachimg=6]

7. Tie in a hackle (Ive stripped one side as i don't like the hackle  too heavy but that's just my preference).
[attachimg=7]

8. Lightly dub the thread with hares ear and wind the dubbed thread to the eye.
[attachimg=8]

9. now wind the hackle in slightly open turns to the eye , then catch it in with the thread and whip finish. Clip the underside of the hackle and varnish the head. Job done!
[attachimg=9]

Cheers Col

Ian_M

Nice one Col.  I've never seen or heard anyone using a stripped hackle quill like this before before. It looks great and I will give it a go. I've used stripped peacock eye feather and goose quill (which I think I mentioned to you before).

Is this something you've seen or is it your own idea?
Ian

Ian_M

A quick google confirms your assumption, the dressing calls for "stripped quill from Rhode Island Rooster (Lacquered)".  Now I always thought it was tied with a dyed peacock eye feather.  We lives and we learns.   :?
Ian

garryh

thanks for that Col ill have to get going as soon as i can get into my fly tying room(or the spare room as the wife calls it)its full of furniture until i get our bedroom painted. :(

cheers Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

haresear

Nice fly as ever Col.

I noticed you varnish the quill body and you specify "twice". What's your thinking behind this? Is it to avoid air bubbles on the submerged virgin quill?

Alex
Protect the edge.

paulr

I use a couple of coats of Sally Hansen hard as nails on my quill emergers. I find if you don't protect the quill the flies rarely last more than a few fish. It takes me so long to tie them I can't afford to go through them too quickly :wink:

haresear

Quote from: Bandy Catcher on April 16, 2009, 01:59:08 PM
Hi Col

That one's tied on a 12. Whenever I tie a fly I haven't tied before, I tie it first on a bigger hook before scaling down. I agree that it's a wee bit too skinny and I'll go back down the stripped hackle route. I like the profile though and it's a good SBS. Thanks.

John

What pattern of hook is that tied on Bandy? It looks a bit different to a B100, but maybe that is just because the body is so slim?

Alex

Alex
Protect the edge.

haresear

QuoteHi Alex, Alex.

John, John here.

It was tied on a B100, as both of you can see if you look closely.   

Aye Col, as you say on a 16 or smaller, I think might be a good flee.

John
John

Cheeky bastard
Cheeky bastard

Alex
Alex
Alex :)
Protect the edge.

Fishtales

That is certainly a bad stutter you two have, I can't say I've noticed it before :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Go To Front Page