News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

CDC Flexi -olive Dun (another SBS)

Started by col, April 17, 2009, 05:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

col

This is a low riding Dun pattern Ive now been using for a good few years now, basically an F fly variant. It's my first choice when brownies are clearly taking olive duns , especially on the slower and or flatter parts of a river, though it's not just limited to rivers, its had its fair share on lochs also. You can either gink the tail or leave it depending on the trouts preference on the day.

Hook:Partridge sld 14-18
Thread:GSP (white)
Tail: micro fibbets (2m currently using 4 on size 14's and 2 on any sizes below that)
Abdomen:olive flexi floss
Wing :CDC
Thorax  :olive dubbing

1.Here I'm using a size 14 hook:  Tie in 4 micro fibbets(2 on anything smaller than a 14)

[attachimg=1]

2. Divide the micro fibbets into a v shape , in this case two are tied together on both sides. (the micro fibbets help support the fly in the surface and leave a realistic "V" footprint).

[attachimg=2]

3. Tie in the flexifloss at the thorax area , binding i down under gradual increasing tension wind down towards the tail, then stopwhen you reach the desired length for the body.
[attachimg=3]
[attachimg=4]

4. Return the tying thread to the thorax area and wind the flexi floss  up the body in touching turns again under tension.
[attachimg=5]

5. Once you have reached the thorax , secure the flexifloss with a few thread wraps and trim waste.
[attachimg=6]

6. Take 3 CDC plumes and tie them in .
[attachimg=7]

7. Trim the waste form the CDC and put in a few thread wraps at the roots of the CDC wing to help persuade it to stand "upright".
[attachimg=8]

8. Dub the thread and put the first turn behind the wing.
[attachimg=9]

9. continue winding the dubbing (in front of the wing to the eye, then whip finish. The fly is now complete
[attachimg=10]

Clan Ford

Nice SBS Col,  Its one that I use as well.

As for those Almond troots, at least your seeing a few risers.  I was down the Earn today (not fishing) the march browns were trickling off and not a rise was seen :?

Norm 

Go To Front Page