News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

March Brown Spider (SBS)

Started by Clan Ford, April 20, 2009, 07:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clan Ford

I've never done an SBS before so I apologise for the lack of consistency in the photos (really should have borrowed a tripod from work :roll:).  I've just dispatched a few materials off to RichardL for tying spiders, so I thought I best actually try show him how I tie them - this one is for you Richard :D

Hook - Kamasan B175 Size 10
Thread - Benecchi's 12/0 - Wine (I think)
Rib - Yellow thread form tesco
Overbody - UTC Vinyl Rib (Olive) - its like flexi floss
Tail - Copper Crystal flash
Thorax - Brown SLF mixed with hare.
Hackle  - partridge dyed olive - off a skin from Cookshill (Steve really does produce some excellent materials)

[attachimg=1]
Wind on the Thread

[attachimg=2]
Catch in the Crystal Flash, the vinyl and the yellow thread

[attachimg=3]
Wind the wine thread back up the hook in close turns then rib with the yellow. trim off the end.

[attachimg=4]
Wind the vinyl rib up the body in touching turns, pulling tight to keep the profile slim.  Trim off the end.

[attachimg=5]
Pull the fluffy stuff down the quill of the feather and tie in.

[attachimg=6]
Trim the feather, leaving just the top section for the hackle.

[attachimg=7]
Build a thorax by dubbing some SLF/Hare at the back of the hackle.

[attachimg=8]
Use the hackle pliers to put one turn round the hook shank.

[attachimg=9]
Wind the hackle back a bit to create a head and whip finish for the end product.

I've had the vinyl rib stuff for a while but never really used it but Col's flexi-floss SBS's inspired me to tie up a few flies with it.  I've never tried it in spiders but it worked Ok at the weekend :8)

Norm

Clan Ford

Here's a few variations that I like, again incorperating the vinyl rib stuff:-

[attachimg=1]
harelug body with a straight vinyl rib.

[attachimg=2]
Copper body with an olive vinyl rib body.

Norm

scotfly

Nice one Norm. The pics are more than good enough to see. The tying is great.
Well done.... and more please.  :8)

haresear

Yeas, those will catch fish. Well done Norm.

Alex
Protect the edge.

.D.

Quote from: Clan Ford on April 20, 2009, 07:19:58 PM

Copper body with an olive vinyl rib body.

Norm

I like that one (and the one above it). What's going on with the body? Is it copper wire, or vinyl rib over copper wire? Or copper vinyl rib? :). It looks like a butt of vinyl rib followed by copper wire. It's hard to tell with reflective and translucent materials sometimes.

.D.

Clan Ford

Thanks for the kind Comments guys,

I'm surprised that no one has had a go at my unorthodox "bury the point of the hook in the vice" technique.  I seem to remember it was frowned upon when I mentioned I did this in the past :D

Quote from: .D. on April 20, 2009, 09:29:40 PM
I like that one (and the one above it). What's going on with the body? Is it copper wire, or vinyl rib over copper wire? Or copper vinyl rib? :). It looks like a butt of vinyl rib followed by copper wire. It's hard to tell with reflective and translucent materials sometimes.

Its an under layer of copper tinsel over wound with the vinyl ribbing material.  Looks good but yet to catch :(

Norm

Ian_M

Quote from: Clan Ford on April 20, 2009, 10:14:04 PM

I'm surprised that no one has had a go at my unorthodox "bury the point of the hook in the vice" technique.  I seem to remember it was frowned upon when I mentioned I did this in the past :D

Never even noticed.  It's not someting I do, but no harm in it if it works for you.
Ian

.D.

Quote from: Clan Ford on April 20, 2009, 10:14:04 PM
Its an under layer of copper tinsel over wound with the vinyl ribbing material.  ............

Ahhh......

Cheers,

.D.

Go To Front Page