News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

March Brown Emerger - Step by Step

Started by rabbitangler, April 21, 2009, 12:44:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rabbitangler

Following on from Clan Fords Spider heres another step by step

This is my first attempt at a SBS so please be gentle with me    :cheers;

The March Brown Emerger

Hook    - I?ve used a partridge E1AY Barbless, but any lightweight size 12 will do.

Tail   - Origionally several fibres of deer hair, but I now use Moser Dust Fibre.
Thread   - Light Brown or whatever you prefer.
Body    - Light(ish) Hares ear, dubbed.
Wing   - Ginger(ish) Poly Yarn
Thorax   - Dark hares ear, dubbed
Hackle   - Red game or Furnace palmered over the Thorax ? trimmed flat.

Step 1   - Start thread and catch in 4 or 5 deer hairs or a thin bunch of Dust Fibre as a tail.

Step 2 ? Dub the thread with the hares ear and wind a slim, tapering body

Step 3   - Tie in a short length of Poly yarn over the body.

Step 4   -  Catch in a Furnace/Red Game hackle

Step 5      - Dub some darker hares ear onto the thread and wind a thorax

Step 6   - Wind 2 or 3 turns of hackle over the thorax

Step 6   - Whip finish then trim the hackle either a vee from the bottom or completely flat

Step 7   - The finished fly.

This is my most successful dry fly for big fish but it catches outside of March Brown time and has worked on lochs & Stillwater as well as rivers. Hope you feel it?s worth a try.

haresear

Good timing Peter. That one worked for me last year on the Don, so I was hoping to tie some up tomorrow night.

Alex
Protect the edge.

.D.

Quote from: rabbitangler on April 21, 2009, 12:44:11 AM

This is my most successful dry fly for big fish but it catches outside of March Brown time and has worked on lochs & Stillwater as well as rivers. Hope you feel it?s worth a try.

I use something vaguely similar on a 14 for LDOs, sometimes with a looped poly wing. I've not tried  it with a poly shuck though. Is "dust fibre" a fine poly yarn - I've not tried it? I'm sure it's worth a try.

.D.

rabbitangler

More like a crinkled very fine nylon but may be poly. Not really sure

.D.

Quote from: rabbitangler on April 21, 2009, 01:20:52 AM
More like a crinkled very fine nylon but may be poly. Not really sure

OK.

From here it looks like you wind the thread towards you, Oliver Edwards fashion. Is that so?

.D.

Wildfisher

Oddly enough I tied some of these this past weekend Peter. I don?t have any ginger yarn, so mixed 2/3  grey McFlylon with 1/3  white. Do  you think  the correct wing colour  is vital?

Good  thing about this fly is it?s dead easy to tie, you can knock up a bunch of them up in no time.

rabbitangler

.D   -  Yes I do 'wind the wrong way', but nobody taught me to tie flies so I picked that way & stuck to it. Funnily enough I've spotted two mor backwinders in the past couple of months. :D

Fred   - as far as I'm concerned it's your fly & if you are confident in it that's all it needs. The stuff I use was origionally white & I got it from a guy who was at that time in the aberdeen fly dressers & worked at one of the mills. In fact since it did dye I'm told it may not actually be poly yarn but he said it was & who am I to disagree. :D

Wildfisher

Peter, I think I'll buy some brown McFlylon and mix it with white to get the correct shade. No point in changing a recipe that works.

Clan Ford

Nice Fly Peter.

Its good to see another hook point buried in the vice :shock:

Norm

Wildfisher

Norm,  only fetishists  put their point in a vice.  :D

Go To Front Page