News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Pike Fly

Started by paulr, May 21, 2009, 06:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

A few people asked about the flies I use after I posted about a recent pike flyfishing trip so I thought I'd try a step by step.
I don't have a tripod or decent lighting so hopefully you can make out whats going on!

Materials:

Hook- Fulling Mill 2/0 pike hook
Thread- White Big Fly
Wapsi fly rattle
Slinky fibre/ Frizz Fibre
Synthetic Fur (from a craft shop)
Pearl Flashabou
Mylar Tubing
Stick on eyes
Superglue
5 minute epoxy

[attach-=1]

Mount the hook and wind a bed of thread.

[attachimg=2]

Fit the rattle into a length of Mylar Tubing and slide onto hook.Bind at rear and tie off (some varnish or superglue here helps protect against sharp teeth).Restart thread in front of rattle.

[attachimg=3]

Tie in a hank of white slinky/frizz fibre beneath the hook, bind in half a dozen strands of Flashabou,then tie in a hank of orange fibre on top of the hook.

[attachimg=4]

Snip off a chunk of the fur and tie in as a collar, making sure it is evenly spread around the hook.

[attachimg=5]

Trim off excess fur and fibres.Build up a head using the thread then tie off.Put a spot of superglue on each side of the head and press on the eyes.

[attachimg=6]

Mix up some 5 min epoxy and cover the eyes and head, turning the fly to ensure a nice even shape.

[attachimg=7]

The finished fly.

Crush the barb, and go and throw it at a pike.

Thats my basic template for pike flies.They are really light to cast and easily shed water, but the epoxy head weighs enough to take them down in the water fairly quickly.They have a great sinuous motion in the water.If I'm tying without a rattle I won't bother with the mylar tubing.I also sometimes tie without the fur collar, and have recently started adding weed guards made of 50lb mono.

The orange one is my go-to pattern, but black and white, and chartreuse and white do well also.Each fly is about 6 inches long.

[attachimg=8]

Harpo

Nice one Paul, looks tasty (for the Pike!)

paulr

Aye Col, I reckon the rattles can make a difference. I've caught with them in the canal when the water is fairly murky, and they seemed to generate more interest in the peaty water the other day.
cheers
Paul

superscot

Big canal on my doorstep and still not gotten round to haveing a wee go for them ....Pike that is ...

haresear

Nice flies Paul. I would think the water resistance of the fur collar will make them ride quite high in the water and may help to create some turbulance so that the tail will wag from side to side.

I'll bet those would work for Pollack too.

Alex
Protect the edge.

paulr

Give it a shot Superscot, they're an awful lot of fun on a fly rod.Even the wee ones!
cheers
Paul

Black-Don

Nice flees and photography too. I wish I could get my flee photaes as good as that even with a tripod.  :8)

paulr

Cheers Alex,
On a jerky retrieve the weight at the head tends to make the fly go up and down,with some sideways movement of the tail.
I reckon they would work in the sea too. Swap you some for some tarantinos  :wink:
Paul

superscot

Question ....line.....Floater/intermediate /slow sinker/fast sinker or even a Hi D. whats best ! :) :)

paulr

I just fish them on a floater and do ok-at this time of year the pike are pretty active. In colder conditions a sinker would get you down to the fish when they are a bit more lethargic.
I suppose an intermediate would be the best all rounder.
Go on-have a shot at them  :wink:
cheers
Paul

Go To Front Page